Quote Originally Posted by kirtley24 View Post
It's an interesting question why there is no such forum anymore. When I started CGA, it seemed the most obvious idea: to provide a platform for discussion of cases between clinicians and biomechanists. As an MD-PhD myself, I just assumed that everyone involved in gait analysis would be keen to to this. In the roughly 10 years (1995-2005) that CGA was active it did go some way to achieving this objective, though I would say the clinician input was minimal. These were the days before Internet 2.0, so I had to run the site completely manually, digitizing videos from VHS to AVI and copying and pasting emails to the discussion page. I have often wondered why someone hasn't remade it with the modern conveniences of digital video and social media-type discussion boards. On reflection, I think there are several possible reasons:

1. There is little academic reward for providing such a service. I found I was wellknown for CGA at conferences etc., but when it came to promotion/tenure it counted for nothing - no tangible publications or grant funding. I am retired from clinical gait analysis these days (I am in family medicine) partly because of this frustration. I don't think I made a bad decision in this respect, as it seems to me the field has not progressed much in that last 10 years. A society (BIOMCH-L, GCMAS, ESMAC etc.) should be providing this service, I think, but they are hamstrung (sorry for the gait pun) by the next consideration...

2. In these hyper-bureaucratic times, I probably would not be allowed to upload videos of children. None of the patients ever complained, but I'm sure this would not matter to the ethics committee of a modern institution. Back then, I had full control (via simple FTP file transfer) of everything I uploaded, but these days one would inevitably have to go through the IT department and they would surely tell you it cannot be done, or insist upon written permission for all clinical material. I planned to provide videos with my book, Clinical Gait Analysis (2006) but gave up in despair when confronted by the daunting clearance requirements of the publisher from patient, clinician, hospital etc. It goes without saying that video is essential for the inter-disciplinary study of gait disorders.

3. I have begun to wonder if clinicians and scientists have a genuine desire to learn from each other. There has been much in the media lately of scientific fraud and lack of repeatability. I wouldn't necessarily go this far, but it seemed clear to me that there were a lot of trivial results ("stamp-collecting") being published that never ended up influencing clinical decision-making. I could not blame the clinicians for feeling that interaction with biomechanists might be less than valuable. Equally, the clinicans tend to manage problems the way they have been told - they don't take kindly to questioning their methods. Each is operating in their own bubble.

I would emphasize that I miss CGA terribly - it was a great pleasure to connect and learn from such wonderfully diverse people. I do hope some sort of modern version is resurrected - maybe by you, Saikat?

As I mentioned earlier, these days it would likely be engineered by means of Internet 2.0 (just as BIOMCH-L was migrated from an email discussion list several years ago). This is natural and obvious, but I do wonder if it is the best approach. I personally miss the old BIOMCH-L, the thrill of reading emails every morning from Herman, Ton, even Herbert! There was a dynamism and urgency that seems lacking in the discussion-board solution. But it is quite shocking that progress has rendered such an obvious and much-needed platform impossible in the current age.
Thank you sir Kirtley for your valuable concern.Sir,I am working on stability
issue of Cerebral Palsy
patients. But I have lacking experimental data for this purpose.
Can you point out some source from where I can get data?