PDA

View Full Version : Re: anthropometric data - inertial parameters

Paolo De Leva
08-07-2000, 08:14 PM
Dear subscribers,

A summary of replies to John R. Hutchinson's message regarding
anthropometric data was already posted. Since many of the references given
by other subscribers are based on cadaver data, I want to highlight again an
obvious conclusion that was strongly supported by the data I presented in
1993 at the ISB Congress held in Paris:

My strong suggestion for everybody is as follows:

Unless your subjects look like cadavers of elderly people, don't use
data based on
cadaver studies (Dempster- e.g. via Winter or Plagenoef -, or Clauser, or
Chandler).

Even if you use multi-segment systems such as those defined by
Hutchinson in his message (whole lower limb and the rest of the body) you
can easily compute the data you want using segment masses, LENGTHS, CM
positions and radii of gyrations (for moments of inertia about principal
axes) published on this paper:

de Leva, P. (1996) Adjustments to Zatsiorsky-Selujanov's segment
inertial parameters. J. of Biomechanics 9, 1223-1230

As far as I know, this is the only paper on segment inertial parameters
where you can find segment lengths, from which you can compute CM positions
and moments of inertia of multi-segment systems.

Paolo de LEVA

Ist. Universitario di Scienze motorie
Biomechanics Laboratory
P. Lauro De Bosis, 6