PDA

View Full Version : FYI: MRI and CT datasets available on Internet

Rich Hart
11-18-1992, 12:37 AM
The following posting and response regarding MRI and CT data has been copied
from the Usenet group sci.engr.biomed

I am cross-posting it because I thought it might be of interest to some
Biomech-L readers.

--Rich

RTH@BMEN.TULANE.EDU Richard T. Hart, Ph.D. (504)865-5889
Associate Professor FAX:(504)862-8779
Department of Biomedical Engineering
Tulane University
New Orleans, Louisiana 70118

********************************
In article 31u@mentor.cc.purdue.edu, ac@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (ac) writes:

> Is there any MRI/CT data (of human torso) available in public
> domains ? Any suggestion is highly appreciated!!
>

> Alex Chou
> EE, Purdue U.
> shihtsun@ecn.purdue.edu
> ac@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

The University of North Carolina has some head an knee MRI and CT scan
volume data available for anonymous FTP at omicron.cs.unc.edu (152.2.128.159)
in the directory /pub/softlab/CHVRTD

This is the only source of which I am aware, but others may have more info.
The following file ("announcement") was found in this directory:

Quinn McHenry mchenry@engr.latech.edu
Dept of Biomedical Enineering
Louisiana Tech University (I'm not a native!)

--------------
Announcing the Chapel Hill Volume Rendering Test Dataset, Volume I
SoftLab Software Systems Laboratory
University of North Carolina
Department of Computer Science
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3175

The Chapel Hill Volume Rendering Test Dataset, Volume I is a collection of
the following seven data sets:

Head data - A 109-slice MRI data set of a human head. Complete
slices are stored consecutively as a 256 x 256 array. Pixels consist of 2
consecutive bytes making one binary integer. Data taken on the Siemens
Magnetom and provided courtesy of Siemens Medical Systems, Inc., Iselin, NJ.

Head data information article - An ascii file containing acknowledgements
for the head data files.

Knee data - A 127-slice MRI data set of a human knee. Complete
slices are stored consecutively as a 256 x 256 array. Pixels consist of
2 consecutive bytes making one binary integer. Data taken on the Siemens
Magnetom and provided courtesy of Siemens Medical Systems, Inc., Iselin, NJ.

Knee data information article - An ascii file containing acknowledgements
for the knee data files.

HIPIP data - The result of a quantum mechanical calculation of a SOD
data of a one-electron orbital of HIPIP, an iron protein. This
is an ascii data set. Provided courtesy of Louis Noodleman and David Case,
Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, CA.

HIPIP information article - An ascii file containing information
about the HIPIP data.

SOD data - An electron density map of the active site of
SOD (superoxide dismutase). This is an ascii data set. Provided courtesy
of Duncan McRee, Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, CA.

SOD histogram - An ascii histogram of the SOD data set. This
is described in the previous file.

SOD information article - An ascii file containing information
about the SOD data set.

The datasets were written on a Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) VAX
computer. Each file contains only pixels, stored in row major order
with 2-byte integers per pixel. To use the images on machines that have
normal byte order (DECs use reverse byte order), you should swap alternate
bytes, for example using the 'dd' command in UNIX.

We do not object to your further distributing these datasets, but we
request that full acknowledgement of the source of the data accompany
such distribution. If you are going to send a dataset to someone, please
also send the accompanying information file.

For customers interested in purchasing the datasets on tape, both
Volume I and Volume II can be purchased for $50.00 each, or
$90.00 as a set. The distribution is available in two different
formats. The files on the tape will be written from a DEC VAX
computer using the UNIX file copy command 'dd' or the UNIX 'tar'
command. Total block size is 8192 bytes written at 1600 bpi on
either a standard 1/2" magnetic tape or a cartridge tape.
Please specify your preference when ordering and note that 'dd' is
not available with the cartridge tape. Installation instructions
accompany the distribution.

We ask that you report any problems or enhancement to the
address below.

To obain these datasets on tape, or for additional information,
please contact:

Natalie E. Sipes email: softlab@cs.unc.edu
SoftLab Coordinator telephone: 919-962-1960
SoftLab Software Systems Laboratory
CB# 3175, 361 Sitterson Hall
University of North Carolina
Department of Computer Science