PDA

View Full Version : Re: Centrifugal Force

Ton Van Den Bogert
12-19-2000, 01:24 AM
"Dr. Chris Kirtley" wrote:

> As far as I know, we have no sensors for segment acceleration - only
> (conceivably) joint angular acceleration, via spindles, joint afferents
> and skin receptors. Would this variable be sufficient, I wonder, for the
> CNS to compute the inverse dynamics?

In principle, yes, I think. With eyes closed, we have no information
about our motion relative to an inertial reference frame. But we
have a set of "accelerometers" in one of our rigid body segments,
the vestibular system in the head. Then we have sensory information about
relative motion of all our other body segments relative to the head.
If the CNS wanted to compute inverse dynamics in a reference frame
attached to the head, it could, theoretically. It is another question
whether this is possible in practice, considering the errors in the
sensory signals and errors introduced by the computation in neural
circuits.

Ton van den Bogert

--

A.J. (Ton) van den Bogert, PhD