PDA

View Full Version : Dynamics of Gait (was Re: Inverse Dynamics)

Dr. Yildirim Hurmuzlu
01-22-2001, 10:39 PM
In my previous message my main point was that the equilibrium in bipedal
locomotion
is a limit cycle, which is a dynamic equilibrium (as I specifically stated).
I cannot see how Prof. Feldman reached the conclusion that my arguments
wre based on "the misconception that the term "equilibrium position" implies
static". My entire argument was based on the dynamic nature of the
equilibrium
that arise in gait.

The pendulum example given by Prof. Feldman is a bad one here. The periodic
motions that arise in an undamped pendulum have zero measure on the Poincare
Map. Thus, they are highly improbable to observe in nature because they
are structurally unstable equilibria (an infinitesimal perturbation of the
parameters will result in a new equilibrium state which is static).
Physically, minute amount of added damping, such as existence
of joint friction or drag force, will destroy this dynamic equilibrium.

The more common type of dynamic equilibria arise through Hopf
bifurcations, that take place as a result of nonlinear effects. A stable
static equilibrium goes unstable (as a result of changes in the parameters),
repelling the state away from the equilibrium point. Yet, nonlinear effects
will force the state to establish a closed orbit that encircles the unstable
static equilibrium, which is termed a limit cycle. This type of equilibrium
can be
stable and structurally stable. Here, stability means that the limit cycle
attracts
the local trajectories in the state space. Structural stability on the other
hand,
means that the stability of the limit cycle is preserved for bounded
perturbations of the parameters. I can see now that Prof. Feldman
confuses the state variables with parameters. If a parameter continuously
varies during a specific motion, by definition, it should be called a state
variable! I believe that more proper sequence of events should be as
follows:

1) The biped is standing at a static equilibrium.
2) The brain changes a parameter such that this equilibrium becomes
unstable.
3) The biped undergoes a Hopf bifurcation that results in the emergence of a
stable
limit cycle that we call locomotion.

So instead of changing parameters at every step (as Prof. Feldman claims) to
jump from
one posture to the other, the biped changes the parameters once and
achieves a
dynamic equilibrium that results in continuos walking.

Also, the argument that the equilibrium in locomotion cannot be a
limit cycle because the biped translates horizontally is not a
valid one. One can always express the position of the biped in
terms of the joint coordinates (kinematics). Thus, despite
the monotonically increasing horizontal position of the biped,
the equilibrium in walking/runnung can be characterized
as a limit cycle. As a matter of fact, bipeds are not the only examples of
such systems. There are other physical systems that demonstrate
similar behavior such as bicycles, rimless wheels, etc.

In closing, I must admit that the response of Prof. Feldman did not clarify
the
EP hypothesis for me. On the contrary, now I am even more confused by his
explanations that are in my opinion are rather vague and do not fit into a
norm that
is encapsulated by the existing nonlinear dynamical systems theory. I
believe that,
dynamics of bipedal locomotion can be analyzed by employing simpler and more
coherent concepts and analytical tools such as limit cycles, Poincare Maps,
and
Floquet multipliers.

Best regards,

Yildirim Hurmuzlu

ps. I recommend the following related references to the interested readers:

[1] Garcia M., Chatterjee A., Ruina A. and Coleman M. (1997).
The Simplest Walking Model: Stability, and Scaling.
ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 120, 281--288.

[2] Guckenheimer J. and Holmes P. (1985), Nonlinear Oscillations, Dynamical
systems, and Bifurcations of Vector Fields, Springer-Verlag.

[3] Hurmuzlu Y. and Basdogan C. (1994),
"On the Measurement of Dynamic Stability of Human Locomotion.",
ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 116(1), 30--36.

[4] Hurmuzlu Y., Basdogan C. and Stoianovici D. (1995), "Kinematics and
Dynamic Stability of the
Locomotion of Polio Patients", ASME Journal of Biomechanical
Engineering, 118, 405--411.

Yildirim Hurmuzlu
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Southern Methodist University