PDA

View Full Version : Summary of responses

Jesse Wobrock
03-14-2001, 12:03 PM
Dear Colleagues,

I would like to thank you for your helpful suggestions and comments. The following is a summary of responses to my question.

Jesse L. Wobrock
Accident Research and Biomechanics, Inc.
jwobrock@accidentresearch.com
jjwobrock@prodigy.net

Original Question:

Dear Colleagues,

I am a graduate student with an emphasis in Biomechanics. I am considering a thesis project involving analysis of lumbar spinal loads during dynamic lifting. Does anyone know of a particular software or analysis technique that I could use for my project? I have searched the web and been in touch with various university professors and I still need further guidance. I am having trouble locating a dynamic model for lumbar spinal loads, the models I have found are predominantly static. I have Peak Performance software, accelerometers, force plates, and EMG at my disposal for this project. I just need a non-invasive way of analyzing spinal loading in the low back. I appreciate your help.

Jesse L. Wobrock
Accident Research and Biomechanics, Inc.
jwobrock@accidentresearch.com
jjwobrock@prodigy.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a physical therapist who is just entering the study of the Biomechanics
specialty world so this may be useless info for you. However, in physical
therapy we have a device called a ZUNI actually invented by someone here in
Austin, TX that can gradually loads/unloads a trunk as one stands/walks on a
treadmill/or rides a bike etc. It measures the load as well. It becames
widely used beginning 10 years or so ago and there may possibly be one or
something like it in physical therapy facilities nearby you. Knowing the
inventors I may even be able to see if they have knowledge of where their
equipment pieces are. At any rate I could probably hook you up with
material on the subject through their company. Anyway good luck!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am also a Biomechanics/Ergonomics Engineering
graduate student looking for the same type of
research. All I know are Michigan's lifting software
that determines compression, shearing and torgue
forces to the lower back

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about an emg-based biomechanical model? If you have any knowledge of these they have been used by many groups in static and dynamic states. Look in medline for references for any of Marras, Granata, McGill. You should be familiar with their research.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever heard of the lumbar motion monitor. It is a goniometer to measure the kinematics of back motion.

http://www.musculographics.com/

I believe the AnyBody system could to this, provided a lumbar spine
model was developed for the system. If you are interested, have a look
at http://anybody.auc.dk.

---------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe send SIGNOFF BIOMCH-L to LISTSERV@nic.surfnet.nl
For information and archives: http://isb.ri.ccf.org/biomch-l
---------------------------------------------------------------