PDA

View Full Version : PCL Reconstruction

Darrin Richards
03-28-2001, 04:53 PM
Dear Members,

I have a question about complete tears of the Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL). The ACL surgery seems to work quite well, and there is a lot of information of available on the surgery; however, there is much less information available on the PCL surgery. The literature seems to indicate long term degeneration of the knee whether the PCL is surgically replaced or not. I have talked to doctors in Canada and the US and there seems to be a difference in opinion as to whether the PCL should be surgically replaced.

In short the doctors in Canada seem to indicate that the surgery is not needed unless the knee is extremely unstable, even for professional athletes. However the doctors who I have talked to in the US seem to think that surgery should be done immediately. This question is of particular importance to me since I have recently had a complete tear of my PCL. Is the large difference in opinions due to the different Health Care Systems? I was wondering if anyone who specializes in knee biomechanics could possibly shed some light on this problem.

Thanks
Darrin Richards

---------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe send SIGNOFF BIOMCH-L to LISTSERV@nic.surfnet.nl
For information and archives: http://isb.ri.ccf.org/biomch-l
---------------------------------------------------------------