PDA

View Full Version : CALL FOR HELP

Md
01-28-1993, 04:09 AM
The following message was post to multiple recipients of

Dear readers:

Our group has been interested in to install a video-system for
biomechanics
in kinematic analysis,in National Center of Top Rank Athlets of Buenos
Aires-Argentina. We need urgent technical assitance for the
acquisition of
materials and equipment.

Any insights for this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

GALO E NARVAEZ PEREZ,MD
PROFESSOR AND HEAD OF EXERCISE PHYSIOLOGY
CATAMARCA UNIVERSITY
AMENABAR 783 (1426) BUENOS AIRES - ARGENTINA
E-MAIL:galo@unctef.edu.ar
Fax:54 1 361-1623

Thanks to all colleages that answered:

Dear Prof Galo E Narvaez Perez,
At the Faculty of Health Sciences Division of Biomechanics, The
University of Sydney, Australia we are using the Motion Analysis
Corporation systemfor kinematic analysis. We have a six camera
60Hz system and a two camera 200Hz system both of which can co-
llect 32 channels of analog data simultaneously at 1000Hz. We hav
used this system for tasks as simple as one-camera 2D analysis to
six camera 3D setups and have been very satisfied with the accu-
racy, reliability and "user friendliness" of the system. You can
begin with a low cost 2D system and build up to whatever your
budget will allow. The system also has a number of dedicated (eg
gait, lifting, spine) software packages which make the system
more usable and which would also help to raise money through
consulting activities.
The company may be contacted through Motion Analysis Corporation
3617 Westwind Blvd
Santa Rosa
CA 95403
USA
Toll free telephone 800-733-6746
Telephone 707-579-6500
FAX 707-526-0629
You can use my name as a contact.
Good luck with your search, let us know how you get on.
Regards, Richard Smith, Head, Biomechanics Division.
------------------------------------

For the attention of: Dr Galo E Narvaez Perez
--------------------

Re: Enquiry regarding kinematic analysis.

Dear Dr Perez,
We have just set up a Gait Analysis Laboratory here in
Belfast. It is based on the VICON system as marketed in
the UK and North America by Oxford Metrics Ltd.
The system we have set up is primarily designed to analyse
the way children suffering from conditions such as
Cerebral Palsy walk. Based on the data gathered the surgeon
can then make a more objective descision as to whether
surgery is a viable option. We also have plans to expand
the system to analyse upper limb movement as well more
academic areas of research such as sports medicine.
The costing of our system was in the region of
120,000 pounds sterling (about 200,000 US dollars).
I would be happy to provide you with more information on
our system if you wish. In the meantime I will give you
the address of the company in England, UK who supplied
us.
Best Wishes
Joe Murphy

Oxford Metrics Ltd
Unit 8, 7 West Way, Botley,
Oxford, England OX2 0JB
United Kingdom.
Tel: +44 865 244656
Fax: +44 865 240527
Telex: 838731

Good Luck!
To: postmaster@unctef.edu.ar

For automatic motion anlysis I would suggest the Elite system. It is a
very
reliable system based on principle of computer vision. It adopts
passive
markers that do not bear any encoumbrance to the analysed subjects and
can integrate kinematic with EMG and ground reaction forces. I work in
neuroscience and many laboratories all around the world have adopted
it.
But it is used in many other fields like sports, rehabilitation,
biomechanics,
orthopedics...
For more information you may contact prof. Antonio Pedotti of the
Bioengennerin
g Centre Politecnico of Milan, Italy at
Pedotti@ipmel2.elet.polimi.it
from which you can get technical informations on the performances as
well as
directions on to whom manage the commercial aspects.

N. Alberto Borghese
Newsgroups: uw.mail-list.biomech

We have made a fairly complete 2D and 3D analysis system from video
--------------------

here at the University of Waterloo. This also included automatic
digitizing
programs, and a series of biomechanical analysis packages. Since the
whole system was built from cheap off-the-shelf components, we have
kept
the cost fairly low, although it's not as nice to use as some of the
$100,000+ systems.
If you have specific questions, I would be pleased to answer them
for
you.

Paul J Guy work phone:519-885-1211 ext 6371
paul@gaitlab1.uwaterloo.ca home:519-744-5016 FAX:519-576-3090
pguy@healthy.uwaterloo.ca ..remember...bullshit baffles
brains...
Dear Dr. Perez,
I received your call for assistance and would be glad to offer
whatever
advice you may need. I have just set up a new laboratory here at the
University of Maryland for motion analysis of very high-speed athletic
performances in 3 dimensions. Our application is in the athletic
performance
of horses (Olympic horses, racehorses, etc.) but the demands on the
system
are very similar to those in human sports biomechanics.

My lab is now equipped with:
high-speed video (200 Hz) filming system fully portable to the field
manually-digitized motion analysis/data analysis system
video projection system

You may consider attending the Second International Workshop on Animal
Locomotion in California in March of this year. We will be having
several
companies demonstrate their equipment, including Peak Performance,
NAC, and
Ariel.

Please don't hesitate to contact me directly on Email with any
questions.

N. R. Deuel, PhD
Director, Equine Sports Biomechanics Laboratory
University of Maryland
College Park, MD USA
Subject: Re: CALLS FOR HELP
I might suggest you call the United States Olympic Training Center in
Colorado Springs, CO. (719) 578-4516, (719) 632-5194 (Fax), Allan
Kramer of
the USOC is on the system @ usoc@UCCS.EDU he is not a biomechanist but
will be able to relay your questions. However, I do not know how often
he
logs on. If you call, Sarah Smith is head of Biomechanics. They also
have
one person who speaks some Spanish if that would be helpful. If you
have
specific questions I could try to answer them.

BAM BA
Dr. Galo E. Narvaez Perez
We have a high speed video lab set-up at the University of
Massachusetts
--------------------

consisting of 200 Hz cameras and a Motion Analysis VP video processor.
If
you wish to get more information on our system, respond at
JHAMILL@EXSCI.UMASS.EDU.
Joe Hamill
From: Ton van den Bogert

Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your question to the Biomch-L list. I hope
you get some useful advice from the subscribers.

Of the commercially available kinematic analysis systems, I have
only experience with the system from Motion Analysis Corporation
(Santa Rosa, California). That is a video system (we use four
cameras) with signal processing electronics and accompanying
software. As far as accuracy is concerned, this system is the
same as VICON (Oxford Metrics, UK), although both say they are
the best. The most important difference is in the software.

The first step in the analysis is 'tracking', which is the
identification of the markers and the calculation of 3-D
coordinates. When you have markers that disappear, or overlap
for a while, this can become a difficult problem. For walking
and running, the Motion Analysis software is adequate. For other
movements, you may get more problems.

The next step in the analysis is calculating biomechanical
variables, doing statistics, making graphs etc. Motion Analysis
supplies the KinTrak software for this purpose, which has been
developed in our laboratory. That program still has some
limitations, so make sure that it can do what you want.

Video systems may cause problems when used outside, in sunlight.
Our cameras cannot collect data when the sun is shining. That
may be important for you. There are now infra-red lights and
corresponding cameras that are better for outside use. But: try
it first! Always ask for a demonstration of the system, in the
most difficult conditions and with complicated movements. Do not
believe them if they say it works without problems.

I hope this is useful information for you.

Regards,

-- Ton van den Bogert, Biomch-L moderator
Human Performance Laboratory
University of Calgary, Canada
dear sir,
I read your recent posting on Biomech-l. I work at a Bioengineering
Centre in Milano (ITALY) where a system for motion analysis has been
working for many years, also for sports applications. We use a video
--------------------

based mautomatic motion analyser which we developed at the beginning
of the eighties and is actually produced and distributed by an
Italian company. We have as well a Kistler force platform for
analysing
ground reactions during walking, running, jumping ecc. What kind of
help do you need in setting up your own system?
sincerely
Giancarlo Ferrigno
Bioengineering Centre
Via Gozzadini 7
I-20149 Milano ITALY

ferrigno@ipmel2.elet.polimi.it
Biomechanics
Laboratory
Building 10, Room
6s235
National Institutes of
Health
Bethesda, MD 20892,
USA
(301) 496-9890 ext 24

Dear Dr. Narvaez Perez:

I recently received your request for assistance in planning a
laboratory for
biomechanical research (especially regarding kinematic analyses) as it
appeared on the BIOMCH-L international computer list. I see that your
work
takes place in the National Center of Top Rank Athletes. Because of
your
apparent desire to study sport, you may have some special requirements
for your
data collection system -- e.g., sampling rates, portability,
water-proof, etc.
To enable me to better evaluate my potential to help you in your
planning,
I wonder if you might send me a note outlining your expected list of
biomechanical studies (e.g., particular sports, competition versus
laboratory
analyses, kinematics only or inclusion of kinetics as well, etc.).
Information
such as this will better tell me if I can be of assistance to you.

I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

Frank L. Buczek, Jr., Ph.D.
Head, NIAMS Biomechanics Unit
buczek%bmlvax.dnet@dxi.nih.gov
Dear Reader:

Jan. 21, 1993), I have some information that might interest you.

At Northern Digital, we build a motion measurement system, called the
OPTOTRAK, which is very different from a video-based system. The
OPTOTRAK is used to measure the three-dimensional positions of points
on a subject as he or she is performing an activity. Applications for
our
system include gait studies, dance, and athletic movements within a
relatively confined area.

The OPTOTRAK system offers the following advantages over video-
based systems: it is more accurate, can sample data at much higher
rates,
--------------------

and the system does not require you to perform any post-hoc data
processing operations after data has been collected.

If you have any questions about the OPTOTRAK, would like to receive
additional information, or would like to know how the OPTOTRAK could
be used with your specific application, please do not hesitate to
contact
me. My fax number is +519-884-5184 and my E-mail address is provided
below.

Sincerely,

--
Lise Dupont Northern Digital Inc.
Communications Assistant 403 Albert St.,