PDA

View Full Version : Re: Summer Science Quiz #2

Greiner, Thomas M. Ph.d.
05-15-2001, 06:22 AM
I think there is a "solution" to this question, although I'm not sure the
question is completely valid. It really depends upon what you mean by feet.
For example, starfish have five "feet," or at least limbs, which is an odd
number. If you don't count starfish limbs as "feet" then you really can't
count the feet of insects either, since we're talking about analogous
structures rather than evolutionarily homologous ones. If we are limited to
strictly homologous structures, then the only animals that have "feet" are
the vertebrates (and not all of them have feet either, e.g. fish).
Vertebrate animals are limited to four limbs due to choices that were made
very early in chordate evolutionary history.

My solution: Bilateral symmetry in the animal body plan produces the even
number of limbs, but those animals that develop with radial symmetry (like
the starfish) can have odd numbers of limbs. Why does bilateral symmetry
predominate in the animal kingdom would perhaps be a better question. My
answer to that question is: pure dumb luck.

Thomas M. Greiner, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Anatomy
New York Chiropractic College