PDA

View Full Version : FW: Bioengineer or Biomedical Engineer?

Poletto, Chris (ninds)
05-24-2001, 01:56 AM
I would like to second the opinion given by Dr. Rassoulian that there is no
meaningful division between what we call biomedical engineering and
bioengineering. The division implied by the names is that biomedical
engineers apply engineering practices and principles to solve
medically-oriented problems, where-as bioengineers work on any
biologically-oriented problems. In practice, however, both biomedical or
bioengineers may specialize in electrical, mechanical, optical, chemical,
robotic, computer (hardware or software), genetic or materials engineering
approaches and may be equally adept at solving medical or non-medically
related problems. The distinction is therefore very blurry and may be more
artificially constraining than useful. I have not noticed any consistent
difference in the way the titles biomedical engineer and bioengineer are
used in practice (Indeed, bioengineer is sometimes used as a convenient
abbreviation of biomedical engineer). I assume Dr. Shimada is primarily
concerned with trying to qualify or disqualify expert witnesses. In that
case, it is best to consider the actual work an individual performs, rather
their somewhat arbitrary title.

On a potentially relevant side note, I have noticed a clear and consistent
distinction between the titles clinical engineer and biomedical engineer.
Hope this helps,
Chris

Christopher J. Poletto, Ph.D.
Biomedical Engineer