PDA

View Full Version : Re: Glucosamine

Greg Erdmann
10-16-2001, 07:46 AM
Thanks for all the replies regarding my Glucosamine question. There were a
dozen positive replies from MD's, Physical Therapist and regular folks that
basically had the general theme of (a) they've been using it and it works
great for them and (b) it's unlikely that it is actually bad for you, so the
obvious conclusion is to try it. The funny thing is the variety of product
on the market - lots of stuff like vitamins and herbal supplements are added
in varying (large) amounts. Anyway I found one brand that has just
glucosamine and chondroitin only and will give that a whirl!

Greg Erdmann

-----Original Message-----
From: Biomechanics and Movement Science listserver
[mailto:BIOMCH-L@NIC.SURFNET.NL]On Behalf Of Greg Erdmann
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2001 10:13 AM
To: BIOMCH-L@NIC.SURFNET.NL
Subject: [BIOMCH-L] Glucosamine

The popularity of glucosamine has increased a lot here in the USA lately.
Apparently it' s been around in Europe for a long time. It's everywhere: on
TV, on the front of vitamin shelves, in my Berner's "Large Breed" dog food,
etc. In fact I suspect they'll put in my breakfast cereal soon!

Does the biomechanics community have any opinions or done any studies on the
effects of glucosmine on joints, or even for spinal disc degeneration? Or is
it just another fad (like the vitamin du jour such as ginko, Echinacea,
etc)?

As my morning jogs get shorter and less frequent due to knee and back pain
due to years of mogul skiing, I am curious...

Regards,
Greg Erdmann