PDA

View Full Version : Re: Soccer ball pressure and mass

unknown user
11-18-2001, 11:55 PM
Dear all,

To explain it as short as possible from the physical kind of view:

Input:
10psi = 0.689bar
12psi = 0.827bar
14psi = 0.965bar

Calculation:
1. difference of 0.276bar (10psi to 14psi)
2. volume of ball size 5 (diameter is 220mm)equals 0.0056m³ (calculating
with size bigger than real bladder!!!)
4. density of air 1.293kg/m³ at 20°C and 1.032bar

Results: weight of additional air from 10psi to 14psi = max. 0.0019kg or
1.9g for a size 5 ball
equals 0.95g from 10psi to 12psi or from 12psi to 14psi
every ball smaller than this (size 3 or 4) must have less weight
difference due to less air inside.

Thinks to think about:

- about 200g for a ball seemed to be very less, so this will never be a ball
for soccer ( >400g!!!)
- a differents of 130g (measured on size 3 from 10 to 14psi) means a
pressure of 18bar (>260psi) or
an inflating to a size more than 570mm.

Please check your test procedure:

- is the identical ball used for 10 to 14psi?
- same moisture
- same temperature (very less influence)

best regards,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karsten Westphal
Testing Engineer