PDA

View Full Version : Re: Subluxation Paradox:

sperle33
02-12-2002, 03:39 PM
Chris Organ presents another item that is cause for crisis in the old
paradigm of the bone out of place. The concept of what Panjabi has called
the neutral zone was unknown in the 19th century when the first chiropractic
paradigm was developed. Thus a belief in a perfect alignment was not
unreasonable then. It is unreasonable today and the inability of some of my
professional peers to make the paradigm shift is a significant problem,
which I choose to address by teaching and teaching post-graduate courses.

Rather than looking at modern chiropractic as a pseudoscience I believe that
what we are looking at is a fundamental problem of all physical medicine
procedures, whether it is manipulation or PNF type stretching or what is
called muscle energy within the osteopathic profession, etc. These
procedures appear to be effective treatments for certain conditions. The
people involved in using these procedures use the physiological and
biomechanical knowledge of their day to develop a theory that attempts to
explain the clinical effects they see. They erroneously believe that
clinical effectiveness is the documentation they need to validate the theory
they developed for the effects of the treatment. Likewise, it is erroneous
to assume that the invalidity of the theory means that the treatment is
invalid.

People have been using ice on tendon injuries for many many years. The
theory was the that tendon was inflamed and the ice would reduce the
inflammation. We know now that most tendon injuries usually cause
degeneration and not inflammation. So while the ice appeared to help it
certainly wasn't by decreasing the inflammation. By Mr. Organ's logic we
should stop using ice and call cryotherapy names like pseudoscience because
the theory of its effectiveness is invalid.

Chris Organ wrote:

> List,
>
> The definition of "subluxation" rests upon the premise that "normal"
> vertebral elements are always precisely aligned. Anyone one who has
> performed dissections on real animals knows the high degree in
> variability that occurs naturally. The hypothesis that "subluxations"
> exist has, to my knowledge, always been pursued by searching for
> confirming evidence, instead of falsifying evidence. Furthermore, even
> if "subluxations" were shown to exist, they are assumed, a priori, to
> bear a casual relationship with lower back.
>
> For these reasons alone (definitional and methodological problems),
> chiropractic medicine is best grouped with other pseudoscience
> practices, such as homeopathy, qi kung, etc.
>
> Best, Chris Organ
>
> _________________________________
> Chris Organ
> Center for Computational Biology, CBN
> Department of Paleontology, MOR
> Montana State University
> Bozeman, MT 59717

Stephen M. Perle, D.C.
Associate Professor of Clinical Sciences
University of Bridgeport College of Chiropractic
Bridgeport, CT 06601

www.bridgeport.edu/~perle