PDA

View Full Version : Re: Grip Strength

Louis Amundsen
02-13-2002, 03:58 AM
Recommendations have been made for standardizing the measurement of grip
strength. See for example:
Mathiowetz V. Grip and Pinch Strength Measurements. In Amundsen LR
(ed). Muscle Strength Testing: Instrumented and Non-Instrumented
Systems. Churchill Livingston, New York, 1990
Mathiowetz V et al. Reliability and validity of grip and pinch strength
evaluations. The Journal of Hand Surgery. 1984;9A(s):222-226.
Balogun JA et al. Grip strength: effects of testing posture and elbow
positions. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1991;72;280-283.

You may get higher values with a swinging arm, but this may be very
difficult to standardize.