PDA

View Full Version : Re: body fat % contest

Mark R.j. Young
04-09-2002, 12:14 AM
It would be my assumption that those involved in this contest are doing it
in the interest of aesthetics or health as opposed to finance. The money
is simply a method of motivating each other. If this were the case then
I'd agree that everyone would be better off regardless.

That said, I'd also have to agree (speaking only from experience as a
personal trainer) that those who have the most weight to lose have the most
to gain in this contest. When I've reached lower levels of bodyfat I've
always found it more difficult to get any leaner.

Bioelectrical impedance testing of bodyfat is also subject to some errors.
I seem to remember hearing something about hydration and electrolyte
status having an effect on the measurement. Don't quote me on that one.

Hope that helps.

Mark R.J. Young
M.Sc Candidate
Department of Kinesiology