PDA

View Full Version : Rowing Numbers

randerson75
04-17-2002, 09:21 PM
Does anyone have any evidence (or thoughts, even wild guesses!) of the
approximate number of competitive rowers worldwide?

Ross

Ross Anderson__________________________________________ _______

Dept of Sport and Exercise Sciences and
Centre for Biomedical Electronics
University of Limerick
IRELAND
Tel - +353 (0) 86 8500833 or +353 (0) 61 202810
Fax - +353 (0) 865 8500833
e-Mail - ross.anderson@ul.ie
WWW - www.rossanderson.net

-----Original Message-----
From: Julie Steele [mailto:jsteele@UOW.EDU.AU]
Sent: 18 April 2002 02:53
To: BIOMCH-L@NIC.SURFNET.NL
Subject: [BIOMCH-L] Force Platform Positioning

We have been fortunate enough to purchase a second Kistler 600 mm x 400
mm force platform and are about to embed it in our laboratory floor to
accompany our existing 600 mm x 400 mm plate. Before we do this we are
seeking "words of wisdom" to ensure optimal placement and method of
fixation. The major tasks that we wish to analyse using the force
platforms are:

Bilateral gait (particularly of healthy children (6-12 years) and the
elderly)
Dual limb landings from boxes of varying height
Single limb landings, following a run-up approach, in which we wish to
also measure forces generated by the second landing limb.

We have found reference to this topic on the Clinical Gait Analysis site
run by Chris Kirtley and noted recommendations in the Kistler manuals
We have also asked several colleagues who expressed an interest in this
topic being posted on Biomch-l. So.... our specific questions are:

1) What are the optimal placements for the two force platforms (of the
size stated above) for the three tasks (we realize these placements may
vary for each task)?
2) What are the suggested methods of fixation to a concrete slab of a
ground floor laboratory that can allow easy movement of the platforms to
account for varying positions? We wish to embed the plates into the
concrete slab as we have limited ceiling height.

As usual, as summary of responses will be posted back to the group.

Thanks

Julie Steele and Bridget Munro
Biomechanics Research Laboratory
University of Wollongong