PDA

View Full Version : Re: author order

Elizabeth Loboa Polefka
04-22-2002, 03:10 AM
Dear Toni (and list) -

In our lab, we use the same author order as you describe in your e-mail
below. So, when I do the majority of the work and am the primary author, I
am listed first followed by my coauthors in order of decreasing
contribution, followed by my advisor - who is always listed as the last
author. We tend to look at it as the first and last author being the major
contributors with the last author generally being the supervisor of the
project.

e.

Elizabeth G. Loboa, MS Eng
PhD Candidate
Biomechanical Engineering Division
Mechanical Engineering Dept.
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94035

egloboa@stanford.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Biomechanics and Movement Science listserver
[mailto:BIOMCH-L@NIC.SURFNET.NL]On Behalf Of Toni Arndt
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2002 7:38 AM
To: BIOMCH-L@NIC.SURFNET.NL
Subject: [BIOMCH-L] author order

Dear List,

One comment in the recent discussion on plagiarism was that unethical
professors may use students' work and publish it with the professor as first
author and the student only as second. This implied a "ranking" of authors
on a publication going from 1st = most important (did most work, is
responsible for the project, receives most credit etc), 2nd = next most
important and so on to last = least important but still somehow involved.

I have spent some time in Sweden and here there is a general consensus that
the last author is often the supervisor of the project (or in the above case
the student's professor if he had some morals). The "importance ranking"
then stretches from the second to the next to last author. Is this different
in the USA? This would appear to introduce confusion when reading
publications from different groups from different countries. There would be
many Swedish professors whom have invested considerable time in their
students' work but, as they are listed last on the publications may be
regarded as quite unimportant overseas.

Are there different opinions on how to interpret which author is written
where? Or is there an international standard "order of authors" applicable
to all areas?

Cheers,

Toni Arndt
Biomechanics Laboratory