PDA

View Full Version : Re: FEA of cemented prostheses

Raj Mootanah
12-11-2002, 12:13 AM
Hi Jose,

After several unsuccessful attempts to get CAD drawings of some femoral prostheses from a manufacturer (I have to admit I did not try hard enough, though), I decided to create one, using the published data from the Charnley total hip implants handbook by DePuy. You can get the I-Deas file an iges file for the Charnley roundback 45 9623-40 at the Vakhum project website: ftp://ftp.ulb.ac.be/pub/exchange/sintjans/femoral-implant.zip. This CAD drawing is not the exact match of the prosthesis, but is close enough for our research purposes. Feel free to use it if you find it useful.

Good luck.

Raj
Rajshree Mootanah, PhD
Research Fellow
Bioengineering Research Group - DaCS
Anglia Polytechnic University

----- Original Message -----
From: Marco Viceconti
To: Jose Antonio de Oliveira Simoes
Cc: biomch-l@nic.surfnet.nl ; bel_Community@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2002 9:03 AM
Subject: [BEL_Community] Re: [BIOMCH-L] FEA of cemented prostheses

Dear Jose:
this is not the first time we see requests like your.
Unfortunately, all research labs that have such models usually
obtained them because of an industrial research contract, which
typically excludes the possibility of making available to third
parties the prosthetic models we receive form the companies.

As Biomechanics community, I guess we should try to convince the
orthopaedics companies to make available in the public domain the CAD
models of at least those designs that are not in production anymore.
this would be particularly useful for those designs that were retired
because of poor performances. I guess having the CAD model of the 3M
Capital prosthesis would be extremely interesting for many of us.

I am posting this reply on the lists because I would like to hear
from those colleagues working in companies or in regulatory bodies
whether this is in their opinion a feasible idea, and under which
conditions.

Best regards

Marco

>Dear colleagues
>
>At the University of Aveiro, Department of Mechanical
>Engineering, we are developing and assessing a new
>cemented
>hip reconstruction. Within this objective, we are
>preparing
>our finite element simulations. We would like to ask if
>colleagues could send us IGES formats (or other usable
>ones)
>of the geometry of cemented hip replacements and allow us
>to use them for comparative purposes. We would be even
>more
>happy if these prosthesis are inserted in the standardized
>femur program (Rizzoli Institute). We can accept formats
>for Abaqus, Ideas and HyperMesh and are mainly, but not
>only, interested in the Stanmore, Charnley, Exeter and
>Lubinius cemented versions. We look forward to analyse
>others also.
>
>We will appreciate much your kind help and will be pleased
>to send you our results and conclusions when the study is
>finish.
>
>Let me have this opportunity to send you all a MERRY
>CHRISTMAS an EXCELLENT HAPPY NEW YEAR.
>
>Best Regards
>
>Jose Simoes
>Department of Mechanical Engineering
>University of Aveiro
>3810-193 Aveiro
>Portugal
>Tel: + 351 234 370830
>Fax: + 351 234 370953
>E-mail: simoes@mec.ua.pt

MARCO VICECONTI, PhD (viceconti@tecno.ior.it)
Laboratorio di Tecnologia Medica tel. 39-051-6366865
Istituti Ortopedici Rizzoli fax. 39-051-6366863
via di barbiano 1/10, 40136 - Bologna, Italy

Tiger! Tiger! Burning bright in the forest of the night,
what immortal hand or eye could frame thy fearful symmetry?