PDA

View Full Version : Re: proprioreception

David P. Dillard
02-18-2003, 06:05 PM
Here are a few citations that may help you with this subject of research
of diabetes and proprioreception followed by some carefully balanced
observations about the balance aspect of your topic of research:

Kernich, Catherine A. MSN, RN, CNS. Peripheral Neuropathy.
Neurologist. 7(5):315-316, September 2001.

Hirsch, Irl B. MD. Protecting and Treating the Neuropathic Foot.
Clinical Diabetes. 14(1):14-16, January/February 1996.

Boucher, B J BSc MD FRCP 1. Tsoumanis, J MD 1. Noonan, K BSc 2. Holmes, J
3. Dependence of retinopathy (and other complications) on glycaemic
control and on weight over 5/10 years from diagnosis of type II diabetes.
Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine. 89(1):27-30, January
1996.

The Effect of Balance and Physiotherapy Training on Postural Control and
General Physical Functioning in Diabetic Neuropathic Patients.
Diabetes. 51 SUPPLEMENT 2:A524, June 2002.

STANSBERRY, KEVIN B.. RESNICK, HELAINE E.. TIRIVEEDI, MADHAVI. TESORIERE,
PAUL J.. MORGAN, PAULA J.. VINIK, AARON I.. Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy
Impairs Balance Beyond the Effects of Aging and Diabetes Alone.
Diabetes. 49 SUPPLEMENT 1:A167, May 2000.

Balasubramanian V. Postural balance and acceleration threshold detection
for anterior horizontal translation in diabetic and non-diabetic elderly.
[Doctoral Dissertation. Research] Louisiana Tech University ** Ph.D. (142
p) 2001

Saltzman CL. Shurr D. Musculoskeletal Q & A. Balance problem in older
diabetic patients.
Journal of Musculoskeletal Medicine. 17(8):447, 2000 Aug.

Perioperative management of diabetes mellitus: striving for metabolic
balance. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine. 59(5):447-9, 1992 Sep-Oct.

--------------

The use of balance in searching for diabetics and say standing is little
short of a nightmare. Consider these phrases:

Energy balance
Metabolic balance
Balance in relationships (emotional stress)
Chemical balance
Water balance
Fluid balance
Thromboxane/prostacyclin balance
the balance for drug therapy
Balance of coagulation activity
Binocular vision and eye muscle balance
Balance of treatment
Fear of hypoglycemia on the balance of insulin-dependent diabetes
Sodium balance

"the balance between tissue plasminogen activator and plasminogen
activator inhibitor-1 in type 2 diabetic patients"

Acid-base balance disorder
Nitrogen balance
Pump-leak balance in diabetic maculopathy
Tissue oxygen balance

and there is more.

Maintaining a proper and upstanding sense of balance in such a mine field
of unbalanced use of terminology requires careful balancing of the use of
phraseology in the titles that resulted in the balance of the titles found
in searching for discussions about balance and diabetes.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584