PDA

View Full Version : SUMMARY: trabecular bone database (TBDB) proposal

Brent Lievers
03-31-2003, 02:00 AM
Greetings,

This is just a summary message to a proposal (appended below) for an
on-line repository of trabecular bone datasets.

There were a number of people who expressed interest in such a project,
many who had very helpful suggestions, and even someone so kind as to
email me a 3D image of a rat femur. Please forgive me for not answering
you all individually.

As it turns out, a project like this has already been begun at ETH in
Switzerland. Ralph Mueller has kindly given me permission to quote his
response:

Dear Brent

We are currently building up such a public database on a large scale
with potential terabytes of data and lots of add-on functionality such
as web-based visualization and analysis tools. This is part of a PhD
thesis here at ETH which has been running for the last two years and
it slanted to continue for another two years.

You can expect a first version of our BIT Platform (Biomedical
Information Technology) to go online by the end of this year.

Hope this helps. Ralph.

This promises to be an incredibly rich and useful resource. If no
official announcement is made to BIOMECH-L when this service goes online,
I will be sure post a message.

Thank you again for all the responses.

Brent

--