PDA

View Full Version : Re: force plate usage survey

jbdingwell38
04-02-2003, 01:12 AM
Dear Kay:

I hope you will get many replies. Here is mine:
In general, force plates are used to record the reaction forces between the
feet and the ground during a variety of human (& animal) activities:
walking, running, standing, jumping, etc.
These are typically very general devices that can record forces and moments
in three directions and so could be used for just about any activity where
you might want to measure ground reaction forces.

A simple search of PubMed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/) for terms
such as "gait analysis", "posture", "biomechanics", etc. should reveal
hundreds of research articles where force plates have been used.

Also, the three primary force plate makers (to my knowledge) are probably
Bertec, AMTI, and Kistler. A brief tour of their web pages should be quite
informative:
http://www.amtiweb.com/
http://www.bertec.com/
http://www.kistler.com/

Good Luck!
Jon Dingwell

At 11:17 PM 4/1/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi, all:
>
>I am a graduate student wanting to know where the force plates are used and
>how they are used. I searched the archive and found similar questions have
>been asked but no answers were provided. So if you are familiar with any
>biomechanic or clinical reaserch involving force plates, could you point me
>some good survey paper, textbook or web resources to read? You help will be
>appreciated and I will post a summary if I ever get any reply.
>
>-Kay Ma
>University of British Columbia

Jonathan Dingwell, Ph.D., Assistant Professor

University of Texas at Austin
Department of Kinesiology and Health Education
1 University Station, D3700
Austin, TX 78712-0360

Phone: 512-232-1782 *** NEW PHONE NUMBER !!! ***
Lab: 512-471-4017
Fax: 512-471-8914
Web: http://www.edb.utexas.edu/faculty/dingwell/

"Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative" -- Anonymous bumper sticker