PDA

View Full Version : Re: Undergraduate Biomechanics (USA)

jbdingwell38
07-30-2003, 11:27 PM
Dear Jim & Biomch-L:

First, to Jim Martin: Thanks for the nice summary. I'd like to say that
in regards to my own comments, we have since been re-evaluating our
undergraduate biomechanics course to bring it more up-to-date. Since I
made those comments, I have had a chance to review the new Hamill & Knutzen
and we are switching over to that text this year. Enoka's book and Ozkaya
& Nordin also look like very goo texts, but would require some calculus as
pre-requisites, which we currently do not require.

This brings me to my question: We currently do not require any math or
physics prerequisites for our undergrad biomechanics class. We are
starting the process of adding pre-calculus / trig as a prereq. I have
done some searching of curricula at other Kines / Ex. Sci. departments and
most seem to require some math (algebra, trig, or calculus) and some
physics prior to biomechanics. But I would like to get some more data on this.

For anyone teaching undergrad biomechanics in a Kines or Ex. Sci. (or
equivalent) department in the US, can you send me the list of prerequisites
for your course? If your program does not require some math and physics,
can you tell me why not and are you also considering adding those requirements?

As always, I will post a summary of the replies I receive.

Thank you!
Jon Dingwell

At 01:02 PM 7/30/2003 -0700, Jim Martin wrote:
>Hello All:
>
>It has been almost a year since I posted my request for information on
>undergraduate biomechanics texts ...
>
>Sincerely,
>Jim Martin

Jonathan Dingwell, Ph.D., Assistant Professor

University of Texas at Austin
Department of Kinesiology and Health Education
1 University Station, D3700
Austin, TX 78712-0360

Phone: 512-232-1782 *** NEW PHONE NUMBER !!! ***
Lab: 512-471-4017
Fax: 512-471-8914
Web: http://www.edb.utexas.edu/faculty/dingwell/

"Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative" -- Anonymous bumper sticker