PDA

View Full Version : Re: Neuro-questions

Ing. Andrea Raggi
01-21-2004, 01:55 AM
Hi,
there's a book on these topics that should be usefull :
"Modern Techniques in Neuroscience Research"
U. Windhorst
H Johansson
I hope it will help you

Andrea Raggi

----- Original Message -----
From: "Panagiotis Artemiadis"
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 9:54 AM
Subject: [BIOMCH-L] Neuro-questions

Dear Sirs,

I am a PhD Candidate at the Control System Laboratory of the Mechanical
Engineering
Department, National Technical University of Athens. I am doing a research
that
deals with robotics and neuroscience.

I would like to have some answers at the follwing topics :

1) Is it possible to have a mapping of brain areas regarding the desired
movement? That is, is it
possible to record signals from brain areas, and to translate them to the
stimulation of a muscle?
How exact are these signals? How can we acquire these signals? Invasive or
non-invasive methods
of interfacing? For example, with an electrode at a specific area of primary
motor cortex, can we
detect the movement of a finger? Or the stimulation of the biceps muscle?

2) Are these signals transfered through neurons' axons to the relevant
muscle? I mean, if we can not
record these signals from the primary motor cortex, are we able of acquiring
these signals from
the Peripheral Nervous System? How this can be done? Is the sEMG a possible
solution?

3) Can we detect (by processing or not) some characteristics of motion into
these signals? For
example, is a characteristic of a signal depicts the torque or velocity of
the movement of the arm?

4) Can an EEG prove usefull to the above mentioned signal-to-movement
translation? What other
methods exist?

Thank you in advance for your prompt reply

P.A.

Panagiotis K. Artemiadis
PhD Candidate
Control Systems Laboratory
Mechanical Eng. Dept
National Technical University of Athens
9 Heroon Polytechniou Str.,
Zografou Athens 15700

Phone : ++30 - 210 - 7723656
http://users.ntua.gr/partem/
Please consider posting your message to the Biomch-L Web-based
Discussion Forum: http://movement-analysis.com/biomch_l