PDA

View Full Version : Re: conversion of CT scans to Finite element model

iweber52
01-29-2004, 03:25 AM
Hi Kiran,

I would suggest you use ScanFE from Simpleware (www.simpleware.co.uk).
They do not output IGES format but convert 3D image data directly into
volumetric FE mesh, which produces a better FE model than Mimics.

They also do services if you don't want to buy the software.

Ingrid

-----Original Message-----
From: Biomechanics and Movement Science listserver
[mailto:BIOMCH-L@NIC.SURFNET.NL] On Behalf Of kiran manika (Clemson
University)
Sent: 30 December 2003 02:01
To: BIOMCH-L@NIC.SURFNET.NL
Subject: [BIOMCH-L] conversion of CT scans to Finite element model

Dear all,

I am trying to convert CT scans of a rib cage in to a 3D model on which
can do finite element analysis. There are many softwares which does this
conversion process and one of the best as told by some of the BIOMCH_L
members is MIMICS from materialise software. I have used MIMICS software
for evaluation purpose but I was not really satisfied with the outcome
of
the model. I could do a NURBS surface fitting model (IGES format) using
MIMICS but the geometry of the model was bad. That may be partly due to
the
CT scans itself. There is another method of converting using STL files.

Data from MIMICS in the form of solid (STL format) or contours (IGES
format) can be used as the Inputs for CAD modelling. My question is
which
one would be a better option.

Is there any other software which is worth trying or which is better
than
MIMICS?

I would greatly appreciate any help in this regard.

Thank you
Kiran

Kiran Manika
Graduate Research Assistant
Clemson University
Bioengineering Department
212, Rhodes Engineering Research Center
Clemson, SC 29634-0905
Ph: 864-656-6258

Please consider posting your message to the Biomch-L Web-based
Discussion Forum: http://movement-analysis.com/biomch_l