PDA

View Full Version : Re: Hamstrings and Gastrocs link

Paolo De Leva
06-08-2004, 05:57 PM
Ton van den Bogert wrote:

> Do you know for sure that you feel discomfort in the gastrocnemius?
> Could it be the fascia surrounding the calf muscles, being stretched by
> the hamstrings?

This question was asked to Richard Hinrichs, but I believe it is
interesting to report what several students of mine told me, which is
consistent with my own feeling when I perform hamstring hyperstretching
exercises with dorsally flexed ankle.

These students feel discomfort in the popliteal region, i.e. the
***posterior proximal*** region of the calf, close or coinciding with the
posterior distal aspect of the knee.

I don't know exactly if this pain is produced by receptors in the
***proximal*** insertion of the gastrocnemius or in the knee joint capsule
or in any other structure placed at that level.

I agree that the best answer will be posted by whoever has, in his/her
department, a good anatomy professor or orthopedic surgeon the next door
and will ask him/her the reason why this discomfort is generated. However,
this answer will be probably a very good and plausible hypothesis, based on
certain data, rather than a scientific certainty, because I don't think the
problem was ever scientifically studied, isolating with certainty the factor
or factors producing pain in the above described conditions.

Kind regards,

Paolo de LEVA

University Institute of Motor Sciences
Sport Biomechanics
P. Lauro De Bosis, 6
00194 ROME - ITALY

Telephone: (39) 06.367.33.522
FAX/Tel.: (39) 06.367.33.517
FAX: (39) 06.36.00.31.99

Please consider posting your message to the Biomch-L Web-based
Discussion Forum: http://movement-analysis.com/biomch_l