PDA

View Full Version : sumary of replays

Alvaro Gurovich
07-14-2004, 12:31 AM
Dear all:

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Here are the answers some people sent to me. I told you before that I'll tell you my opinion: I think it's not good to be together, with Physical Educators, especially in Chile, because there are an identity between Kinesiology and Health. But I'm agree with Dr. Mookerjee: Maybe both can be under the umbrella of KINESIOLOGY with two specific branches.

Thanks again

ALVARO GUROVICH
ACADEMIC CHAIR
SCHOOL OF KINESIOLOGY
P. UNIVERSIDAD CATOLICA DE VALPARAISO
CHILE

Dear Alvaro,

As both a physical therapist and a biomechanics/motor control researcher, I
find there are strong overlaps between the two disciplines. However,
Physical Therapists are health care clinicians that must sit for state
licensing boards, unlike biomechanists, physical educators, or
kinesiologists, etc. We have direct practice in the majority of states, here
in the US, meaning we must have strong training in evaluation and
differential diagnosis. While many PT schools exist at Universities that do
not have medical schools, they usually exist concurrently with other health
professions such as nursing, occupational therapy, speech therapy, etc.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck.

Shaw

Shaw Bronner PT, MHS, EdM, OCS
Director
Analysis of Dance and Movement (ADAM) Center
Long Island University
122 Ashland Place #1A
Brooklyn, NY 11201
718-246-6377
Fax 718-246-6383
E-mail: sbronner@liu.edu

At 12:39 PM 7/7/2004, you wrote:
>Our authorities want to put together both Schools (Kinesiology and
>Physical Education) in one Human Motor Sciences Faculty.

DO NOT LET THEM DO THIS TO YOU. Departments all over the US are splitting
and are much better off separate than together.

Good luck,

Jim

Dear Alvaro,

My department of Kinesiology includes Athletic Training (i.e.
Sports Medicine), Pre-Physical Therapy, Kinesiotherapy and Exercise
Science. We offer degrees at the BS, MS, and Ph.D. levels. For many
years our program was part of a large department (Health and Human
Performance) that, in addition to Kinesiology, included both Physical
Education and Health Education. While we had some things in common with
these other two areas (i.e. the students from all three areas took some
of the same classes), we also had many differences. This included the
fact that the majority of our students were preparing for careers in
medical and allied health fields, whereas their students were preparing
for careers as school teachers. Since our department was housed within
the university's College of Education at that time, we were really
considered of secondary imnportance since we were not involved in
training teachers. Beyond this, there were major philosophical
differences in how our students should be trained, as the Physical and
Health Education faculty believed that Allied Health students should be
trained using the same "educational model" as teachers. And, of course,
we felt very different about this. As an extension of this, many of our
students had a strong interest in science, and the academic aptitude to
pursue fairly advanced work in scienific areas that related to
kinesiology. Unfortunately, many of their student counterparts in
Physical and Health education lacked this intereste and aptitude. And
finally, our Kinesiology faculty members tended to have scholarly
interests that were much closer to the hard sciences (ex. exercise
physiology, motor control, biomechanics) than was the case for faculty
in the other two areas. All of these factors contributed to a great
deal of tension within the department, and significantly limited the
productivity and growth of all three areas.

Approximately five years ago the university created a new
College of Health and Human Services, and our Kinesiology unit was
removed from the department of Health and Human Performance and
re-created as a department of Kinesiology within this new college. The
other two areas (Physical and Health Health Education, became part of
the department of Educational Curriculum and Instruction, within the
College of Education. In our new College, we are surrounded by other
programs with missions similar to ours (ex. Respiratory Therapy,
Cardiovascular Technology, Speech Pathology, Therapeutic Recreation,
Nursing, Emergency Medicine, etc.) Their students are very similar to
ours, in terms of their academic aptitude, academic interest, and
professional goals. And, the faculties of these departments teach and
engage in research that is very similar in many cases to the areas in
which the Kinesiology faculty work. The result of this change, for us,
has been remarkable. We now attract better qulaity students than in the
past, the academic rigor of the courses that we offer has increased, our
faculty now have multiple faculty from other departments in the same
College with whom to collaborate, and we interact daily with faculty who
share our mission and goals. Having been a faculty member at the
University of Toledo for more than twenty-five years, without a doubt,
this is the best thing that has every happened to my department.

As Kinesiology has evolved as a distinct area of scholarship
and professional training, it has moved away from its traditional roots
in Physical Education and much more towards its basis in the biological
and natural sciences. In short, it is my opinion that there are far
more disadvatages to combining with physical education than there are
advantages.

Please feel free to contact me with any specific questions about
our program.

Best Wishes
Charles W. Armstrong, Ph.D., Chair
Department of Kinesiology
College of Health and Human Services
University of Toledo
Toledo, OH USA

http://www.utoledo.edu/

Alvaro,
Our School is a combined physical education degree and human movement
degree with specialization in sports management, sports science,and
psychology and postgraduate offerings is a coursework Masters in
exercise for rehabilitation as well as the usual masters and PhD by
research. I think the combination of physiotherapy into this mix would
be an excellent idea. If it helps you our website is
www.ballarat.edu.au/ard/hmss

I'd be happy for ou to contact me if you require other information.
cheers
leonie

Associate Professor Leonie Otago
Head of School
School of Human Movement & Sport Sciences
University of Ballarat
PO Box 663 Ballarat 3353

Dear Alvaro,

Here at Marquette University in the United States, our program has
both "exercise and sports science" and "physiotherapy" within the
same school.

But, here in the US, there is a clear distinction between the two
disciplines. Individuals in the area of exercise and sports science
are not being trained to treat "sick" people they are trained to work
with healthy people in the areas of sports and fitness (personal
trainer, coaching, managing a health club, etc).

Hope this helps.

Guy

hi Alvaro
I am answering from a physiotherapists perspective. Having been practicing
for 15 years and having done a Masters as well, I can't see any reason that
the department should be with maths and basic sciences. The option of
combining with the Phys Ed sounds logical to me as both professions need the
same base subjects and knowledge. Before we had a Masters program in New
Zealand physio graduates would often do their masters through the Phys Ed
Dept. Many Phys Ed students have also cross credited their papers into
physio. it is however important I feel to maintain sepatate indentities of
the two professions. I just feel that you would probably get good use of
resources if the 2 departments worked together. In my postgraduate work I
have done I have worked with Sports science Students and though we practice
in different fields and have different ideas we have a lot to offer each
other
good luck with the development of your program
Hamish Ashton MHSc
Physiotherapist
New Zealand

Dear Prof. Gurovich,
You have raised a fundamental issue that has dogged this profession for perhaps a hundred years at least in the West. The origins of the academic preparation for Physical Education in the US began with medical doctors such as Dudley Sargent, etc. Of course there was the influence of the Turnverein movement, Swedish gymnastics, etc. Various names are being used across the US but some universities (Big Ten schools in the US) decided to change their Dept. names to "Kinesiology" to better reflect what it is we study. Since the common theme is linked to movement, Kinesiology was the preferred term. An increasing trend over the last 30 years has resulted in "Exercise Science" breaking away from the traditional Physical Education Depts. My suggestion would be to group both your departments under the umbrella of Kinesiology and then to have two branches. One would be the study of the scientific and clinical aspects, the other would deal with pedagogy and the preparation of PE teachers. I am aware that we teach a subject called "Kinesiology" which is essentially functional anatomy applied to sports and movement. However, I am referring to "Kinesiology" from a broader perspective which is the study of movement in its totality.
Regards,

Swapan Mookerjee, PhD
Professor, Exercise Science
Bloomsburg University
139 Centennial Hall
Bloomsburg, PA 17815

Please consider posting your message to the Biomch-L Web-based
Discussion Forum: http://movement-analysis.com/biomch_l