PDA

View Full Version : cadavereic bones for mechanical testing

aperez43
09-30-2004, 09:30 PM
Dear Biomch-L members,

I belong to a research group at the University of Malaga, where we are planning the experimental setup to test a hypothesis about the convenience of usage of a short central post in the tibial base plate of a TKR to reduce subsidence and lift-off, depending on the supporting bone quality. In seeking for fresh frozen cadaveric tibiae to conduct the experiments, we haven't had much luck, but have the opportunity to use cadaveric tibiae preserved using the "natural colours technique" described by Thiel (reference: The preservation of complete cadavers without loss of natural color, Thiel, W., Annals of Anatomy-anatomischer anzeiger, 174 (3): 185-195 jun 1992)

It seems that this technique preserves the texture and colours of soft tissues, but I have found nothing about mechanical properties. I have looked at all the articles that refer the above one, but none of them talks about mechanical aspects, only about anatomical ones.

I have also searched the Biomch-L archives(fixation+bone mechanical properties), and found many references about how embalming in formalyn affects the mechanical properties of bon, but not with this particular technique:

So, the questions are: Is there anyone who knows how bone mechanical properties are affected by this particular preservation method? Or better, is there anyone who have used cadaveric bones fixed using this technique to conduct mechanical tests, or know about any reference on the subject? If so, since we are trying to compare the behaviour using two arrangements, would this be valid for comparative purposes?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Sincerely

Ana Pérez de la Blanca Cobos
Dpto de Ingeniería Mecánica
Universidad de Málaga

-----------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe send SIGNOFF BIOMCH-L to LISTSERV@nic.surfnet.nl
For information and archives: http://isb.ri.ccf.org/biomch-l
-----------------------------------------------------------------