PDA

View Full Version : Flat take off foot in Long Jump?

Grant Jenkins
10-04-2004, 11:50 AM
have just attended Track & Field coaching course. During the “jumping” section of the course (i.e. triple and long jump) the lecturer explained how one should land on a flat foot on the board before taking off.

This did not make sense to me and I questioned her whether she thought this was for injury prevention or performance enhancement. She said both, saying that there is less force landing on ones flat foot than on a section of ones foot. She said all the top jumpers did this.

I disagree, but please correct me if I am wrong.

My thoughts are that, for performance enhancement, by landing on the fore foot one can utilise the stretch-shortening cycle of the lower leg muscles (gastrocnemius, soleus etc) for greater force output. It might LOOK as if top jumpers are landing with flat feet (I am not sure) but this might be because the toe-heel landing is happening so quickly that one cannot see this with the naked eye.

On the other hand, for injury prevention, the forefoot – rear-foot landing reduces the load on the skeletal system because the eccentric contraction of the triceps surae muscles will slow the landing of the heel. If one lands on a flat foot then the shock absorption would have to occur with hip and knee flexion. Surely that would be an inefficient method of jumping?

As I mentioned earlier please correct me if I am wrong, or if you have any thoughts.

Regards,

Grant Jenkins
Strength and Rehabilitation Consultant
B.Sc. (Hons) Ex. Sci.
M.A.A.E.S.S., M.A.S.C.A.

PHYSIOKINETICS
Gold Coast, Australia
(+61) 409 625 263

NOTE
1. The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and privileged. Any unauthorised use of the contents is expressly prohibited. If
you receive this email in error, please contact the sender and then delete the email.
2. Before opening or using any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects. The sender does not accept any liability for any damage caused by such viruses and/or defects. Please notify the sender of any virus and/or
defect should you discover same.
3. This email is also subject to copyright. No part of it should be reproduced, adapted or communicated without the written consent of the
copyright owner. Any personal information in this email must be handled in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).

--
__________________________________________________ _________
Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe send SIGNOFF BIOMCH-L to LISTSERV@nic.surfnet.nl
For information and archives: http://isb.ri.ccf.org/biomch-l
-----------------------------------------------------------------