PDA

View Full Version : Re: empirical analysis of inertia

Van Den Bogert, Ton
12-13-2004, 02:48 AM
Josh,

There is a very interesting article, which (if I remember correctly) proposes to use whole body overdetermined inverse dynamics equations to estimate unknown inertial properties:

Vaughan CL, Andrews JG, Hay JG
Selection of body segment parameters by optimization methods.
J Biomech Eng. 1982 Feb;104(1):38-44.

As far as I know, I have not seen this applied yet. I think most people are pretty happy with the usual methods to estimate inertial properties from cadaver-based regression models. But there are people who do not fit those regression models, and then an empirical in vivo estimation may be superior.

Ton van den Bogert

--

A.J. (Ton) van den Bogert, PhD
Department of Biomedical Engineering

Confidentiality Note: This message is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. Thank you.