PDA

View Full Version : load cells vs. strain gauges for swimming start project

rhinrichs97
12-14-2004, 07:53 AM
Dear Colleagues,

I will soon be doing a research project on asymmetrical forces production during swimming starts. Essentially I need to measure 3D forces (forward/backward, upward/downward, left/right) as functions of time on each hand and each foot separately. Actually, my kinematic analysis will probably be restricted to the sagittal plane, so I may not be using the left/right mediolateral forces. I am building a special swimming starting block that has two AMTI force plates to measure forces from the feet but have yet to finalize plans for the hand force transducers. I am trying to decide between applying sets of strain gauges to two metal bars (one for each hand) vs. attaching triaxial load cells to the hand bars (I assume I'll need 2 per hand bar).

Has anyone else on the list had experience between these two technologies (applying strain gauges vs. using pre-built load cells) that they would care to share? I believe load cells will be much more expensive than strain gauges (and possibly beyond my budget for this project). I need to know how accurate and how expensive each option will be. I'd also appreciate hearing about what components I might need to purchase. Currently I have the two AMTI force platforms and their amps, but will need to buy all components for the hand force measurement (including the amps).

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Regards,

--Rick

Richard N. Hinrichs, Ph.D.
Department of Kinesiology
Arizona State University
P.O. Box 870404
Tempe, AZ 85287-0404
(1) 480-965-1624 (phone)
(1) 480-965-8108 (fax)
hinrichs@asu.edu (email)
www.public.asu.edu/~hinrichs/ (personal web page)
www.asu.edu/clas/kines/ (Dept. web page)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe send SIGNOFF BIOMCH-L to LISTSERV@nic.surfnet.nl
For information and archives: http://isb.ri.ccf.org/biomch-l
-----------------------------------------------------------------