PDA

View Full Version : Re: What Database Would You Use for Research Article Searches?

David P. Dillard
05-19-2005, 10:08 PM
These are the databases that I consider most important for searching for
biomechanics information.

BIOSIS
Medline
Compendex
Web of Science
Embase
Science Direct (Elsevier)
Applied Science and Technology Abstracts
General Science Abstracts
Journals at OVID
NTIS - National Technical Information Service
Physical Education Index
SportsDiscus
Academic Search Premier
GeoRef
WorldCat
RLIN Bibliographic
RedLightGreen (FREE)
Google Scholar (FREE)
PubMed (FREE Version of Medline)
Scirus (FREE)

I hope this helps.

The top three depends on what you are tracking and how you are tracking
the literature. For example, if you are trying to find more recent
discussion of a specific citation, Web of Science is indispensible.
Disertation Abstracts is yet another place to look for biomechanics and
all dissertations should have literature reviews. RedLightGreen is a free
version of RLG Bibliographic and along with Worldcat, both RLG
bibliographic and Worldcat, one or both, are indispensible if one is
looking for monographic, film, audio recordings or other library cataloged
media in collections worldwide, RLG covering only major research
libraries, while Worldcat covers many public, academic and special
libraries worldwide and especially those in the United States. Web of
Science is the database version obtained these days direct from ISI in
Philadelphia of the database known on Dialog and some other searching
services as SciSearch - a Cited Reference Science Database. While
Academic Search Premier is a general all subject database, it contains a
large body of medical journal coverage and has full text coverage for some
of the journals indexed by Academic Search Premier and would be an
excellent resource for discovering biomechanics in, pardon this
expression, other peoples databases. A "default" search in this database
finds almost 5500 articles with the term biomechanics.

I am a reference librarian and database searcher at Temple University's
main library, Paley, and I have faculty liason and collection development
responsibilities in these areas: Tourism and Hospitality, Recreation and
Leisure Studies, Sports Management, Sports Psychology, Kinesiology,
Physical Education, Health Education, Public Health and Medicine.
I moderate the Net-Gold discussion groups that is found on Yahoo Groups

and archived on Temple University's Listserv server as well as on Google
Groups (recent addition). The answer portion of this post will be
archived on the four Net-Gold public and searchable archives.

This list of databases that I rediscovered using a Google Desktop search
may also be of interest.

Guide to Health, Physical Education and Recreation Research Databases,
Indexes and Abstracts
Hilton M. Briggs Library, Box 2115
South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD 57007-1098
Telephone: (605) 688-5570

One never ceases to be amazed at that which is buried on ones computer
once one starts using Google Desktop.

This website that provides a webliography of sources for biomechanics may
also be of substantial interest in this regard.

Internet Resources for Biomechanics

Internet resources for Biomechanics
Useful Starters
Biomechanics Societies
Discussion Lists
Databases
Free Electronic Journals
Related Guides:
Anatomy
Anthropometry
Ergonomics
Orthopaedics
Physical Education, Exercise and Sport Studies
Physiotherapy

These assorted research guides should also be of interest.

Online reference resources
Virtual Library for the Division of Health Sciences
Biomechanics

MedBioWorld
More than 32 million documents from 2,800 publications.
Bioengineering & Biomechanics Databases

A shorter URL for the above link:

KINESIOLOGY: Biomechanics, Exercise Physiology, Physical Education, and
Sports
Revised by Eileen Heaser
Science Reference Librarian, California State University, Sacramento

Contents:
Biomechanics, Testing, Sports Medicine
Physical Education, Exercise, Sports
Physiology
Rehabilitation
Indexes to Journals
Journals
Search Engines

Databases
Browsing by subject:
Health > Human Movement > Biomedical Sciences (anatomy, physiology,
biomechanics)
Queensland University of Technology

Key Resources

Biological Abstracts (via EBSCOhost)
[This is BIOSIS in my List]
Current Contents Connect (ISI)
ScienceDirect
SPORTDiscus (via EBSCOhost)

Biomechanics
>From OMNI

Finally, I did a search in some humanities and social science databases as
a group and found quite a large collection of citations, the group of
databases also including a major business database. Biomechanics can be
found in publications just outside and even well beyond the borders of
biomechanics, as these few examples illustrate.

What A Fly Knows.
Adler, Jerry.
Newsweek
10/25/2004 v. 144 no. 17 p. 62

Musculoskeletal symptom survey among cement and concrete workers.
Goldsheyder, David; Weiner, Shira Schecter; Nordin, Margareta;
Hiebert, Rudi.
Work
2004 v. 23 no. 2 p. 111

Loads on the lumbar spine during a work capacity assessment test.
Cole, M. H.; Grimshaw, P. N.; Burden, A. M..
Work
2004 v. 23 no. 2 p. 169

When Bad Form Is A Real Pain.
Murphy, Kate.
Business Week
5/17/2004 no. 3883 p. 130

Researching Ergonomics for the Natural Gas Industry.
Campbell, Bruce.
Pipeline & Gas Journal
April 2004 v. 231 no. 4 p. 21

Coaching a Critical Stance. By: Curzon-Hobson, Aidan; Turner, Nicki;
Thomson, Rex W.
Journal of the Philosophy of Sport
v. 30 no. 1 2003 p. 68-82

The miracle of flight [book review].
Dalton, Stephen; Vogel, Steven, reviewer.
Times Literary Supplement
no. 5154 January 11, 2002 p. 4

The group of databases provided for research in this field will determine,
by that which is not obtained, how much biomechanics resources will be
missed and the flexibility of angles covered, such as the cited reference
searching of Web of Science. Duplication of periodical title coverage in
different databases will reduce lost content, however.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584