PDA

View Full Version : Re: PCI vs PCI express

tseeholzer21
07-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Don,

you should try to use DUAL channel Firewire PCI cards. These are normal PCI
(not PCI express) cards with TWO independent IEEE-1394 bus systems on it. In
'device manager' they appear as two Firewire adapters.
This will cut down the number required slots to only two and you will have
no problems in finding motherboards. It will probably be cheaper then the
new PCI express technology, too.
We are using these DUAL channel cards for capturing 6 or more DV cameras
with our motion analysis software TEMPLO and they are fine.

www.contemplas.com/motion_analysis_software.aspx?id=1

I am not too familiar with the APAS system but I do not expect any problems.
We also use a A/D converter at the same time without problems.

The PCI bandwidth is more than enough to handle the data rate of several DV
cameras connected to a single PCI card (e.g. 6 cameras with 3.5 MB/s each
require approx. 20 MB/s. PCI has 133 MB/s).

Most modern DV cameras are 'cooperative', i.e. they can be connected to the
same bus anyway. In this case you do not need a Firewire bus for each
camera.
If you have JVC-9x00 models: They are not cooperative.

Please feel free to contact me if you need further information.

Regards,

Thomas Seeholzer

Contemplas GmbH
+49 (08133) 918295