PDA

View Full Version : Re: BIOMCH-L Digest - 2 May 2006 to 3 May 2006 (#2006-83)

rrishe28
05-03-2006, 05:51 PM
Dear Readers,

I am looking for anthropometric data corresponding to human fingers. I couldnt find relevant details in literature. can any one point me in the right direction please.

Rishe.

BIOMCH-L automatic digest system wrote:
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 00:02:15 +0200
From: BIOMCH-L automatic digest system
Subject: BIOMCH-L Digest - 2 May 2006 to 3 May 2006 (#2006-83)
To: BIOMCH-L@NIC.SURFNET.NL

Topics of the day:

1. Summary: reference details required
2. Summary - Accutread
3. NYC Bone seminar Tuesday 05/09, Tony Valdevit, Director, Spine Research
Laboratory, Lutheran Medical Center, Brooklyn on "SPINAL ARTHROPLASTY."
4. good practice: average gait trials?
5. IAS III - Registration Open & Abstract Submission Deadline Extension
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 12:11:58 +1200
From: Justin Keogh
Subject: Summary: reference details required

Hi

Below are the replies I had to the full reference details of the article below

Lafontaine, D., Lamontagne, M. and Lockwood, K. (1998). Time-motion analysis of ice-hockey skills during games. In ISBS 98: XVI International Symposium on Biomechanics in Sports (edited. Konstanz, Germany: International Society for Biomechanics of Sports.

Thanks to Adrian Smith, Ian Shrier, Matilde (surname unknown sorry), Danny Lafontaine and John Barden for their assistance

Thanks

Justin

*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Past Symposia:
http://www.twu.edu/biom/isbs/symposia.htm#past

Links to
http://www.uni-konstanz.de/isbs/Proceedings2.html

E-mail: ISBS98@uni-konstanz.de

There seem to have been 2 volumes of "Proceedings" and one of
"Abstracts"

Adrian

*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Justin

A colleague had a publication in the same journal. The full reference is In Riehle H.J. et Vieten M.M. (Ed) ISBS, UVK Konstanz:Universitätsverlag Konstanz GmbH Press,

He suggested you contact Mario Lamontagne in Ottawa for more details.

Ian Shrier

*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello!

ISBS 1998, XVI International Symposium on Biomechanics in Sports
Proceedings I, Hartmut J. Riehle, Manfred M. Vieten (editors),
University of Konstanz, Department of Sport Science, Germany.
UVK - Universit*tsverlag Konstanz GmbH,
ISBN: 3-87940-648-0

Time-motion analysis of ice-Hochey skills during games,
Lafontaine, Lamontagne, Lockwood

p. 481-484

Greetings

Matilde

*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Justin,
I was forwarded your message by professor Lamontagne.

Here's the full information on the paper that you want to refer to:

Lafontaine, D., Lamontagne, M & Lockwood, K. (1998). Time-Motion Analysis of Ice-Hockey Skills During Games. in Riehle, H.J. & Vieten, M. (Eds.), Proceedings I, 16th International Symposium on Biomechanics in Sports, Konstanz, Germany, UVK, pp. 481-484.

I'm hoping that the reference is a positive one ;-), do not hesistate to contact me if you have any questions.
Cheers,
Dany

*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Justin:

I know two of the authors so I should be able to help you out. Kelly
Lockwood is at Brock University (St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada) and
Mario Lamontagne is at the University of Ottawa (Ottawa, Ontario,
Canada). I don't know Mario's e-mail (I'm sure you can find it
somewhere on the Ottawa U. website) but Kelly's is:

lockwood@arnie.pec.brocku.ca

Hope that helps. Good luck.

John

John M. Barden, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor &
Graduate Coordinator for Gerontology
Faculty of Kinesiology and Health Studies
University of Regina
Regina, Saskatchewan
Canada S4S 0A2
Office: (306) 585-4629
Lab: (306) 585-4909
Fax: (306) 585-4854
E-mail: john.barden@uregina.ca

"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us
from the terrors of the future."

- Frank Herbert

Justin Keogh
President AUT Powerlifting and Strongman Club
Senior Lecturer
Division of Sport and Recreation
Institute of Sport and Recreation Research New Zealand
Auckland University of Technology
Private bag 92006
Auckland 1020
New Zealand
Room AH221I

Phone: 64-9-921-9999 ext 7617
Fax: 64-9-921-9960
email: justin.keogh@aut.ac.nz
http://www.aut.ac.nz/schools/sport_and_recreation/our_staff/
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 15:16:53 +0200
From: Moshe Nissan
Subject: Summary - Accutread

Dear colleagues:
I would like to thank first and especially Ton van den Bogert for his kind
help and advice.
Thanks for the replies I got.
Dwight Bronson and Marilyn Miller could not unswer my question but suggested
various other devices like Tekscan, AcuStep, Emed or RSscan.
Henri Hurkmans confirmed my knowledge of Accutread - avilable only from a
dutch firm, Biometrics (* http://www.biometrics.nl/productindexwebsite.html*
)
Ian, Wim and Tim from RSscan - Thank you. Good to see you're alert and
updated. I'm familiar with your product and might use it at the end of the
day - but my question was different.
Thanks again
Moshe

--
Dr. M. Nissan
tel: 972-4-8371788
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 08:28:55 -0400
From: Steve Cowin
Subject: NYC Bone seminar Tuesday 05/09, Tony Valdevit, Director, Spine Research Laboratory, Lutheran Medical Center, Brooklyn on "SPINAL ARTHROPLASTY."

To Bone Researchers in the NYC area:

The last spring seminar in the Bone Seminar Series will take
place Tuesday, May 9, 2006 at 7:00 PM in room C201 of the CUNY
Graduate Center. The speaker is Antonio Valdevit, MSc, Director,
Spine Research Laboratory, Lutheran Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY. His
talk is entitled "SPINAL ARTHROPLASTY."

Please join us for an hour or so of socializing and exchanging ideas
beginning at 5:45 PM.

More information, as well as directions to the Center, can be found
at http://bonenet.net/
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 12:41:18 +0200
From: Anne-Marie Willems
Subject: good practice: average gait trials?

Dear all,

Could you maybe share your thoughts on the pro's and con's of
averaging gait trials?

I am collecting spatio-temporal parameters of several gait tasks in
Parkinson's disease patients (straight line walking, turning).
The test-protocol was designed to comprise different (2 or 3 trials)
from each gait task in a randomized order.

The randomization was applied to exclude learning effects or changes
due to fatigue.
For statistical analysis, an average was calculated of all trials
within one gait task.

In my opinion averaging gait trials minimizes the variation that
exists between trials and increases reliability.
That is, as long as there are no systematical difference, e.g. learning effect.

On the other hand, the gait parameters can vary between trial 1 and
trial 2, and such an averaging procedure may discard important information.

Are there any agreements on 'good practice' on this issue?

I would really appreciate all replies.

Anne-Marie Willems
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 14:21:55 +0100
From: Brian Caulfield
Subject: IAS III - Registration Open & Abstract Submission Deadline Extension

Dear BIOMCH-L subscribers,

Online registration for the 3rd International Ankle Symposium, to be held in Dublin in September 2006, has now opened. Potential attendees can register via the conference website http://www.ucd.ie/anklesym/index.html using a secure online payment system.

We would encourage delegates to book their accomodation in Dublin as soon as possible as the city will host a major sporting event (the All-Ireland Hurling Final - please visit www.gaa.ie for further information on this unique and exciting sport) on the weekend of the conference and availability will be limited closer to the event.

Our original date for submission of abstracts was May 1st. Thanks to all the researchers who have sent in abstracts. We have received a very large and varied selection of original research that promises to make IAS III an excellent forum for exchange of latest developments in the area of ankle instability research. We will begin the review process immediately and authors will be informed of reviewers' decisions by June 15th.

We have also received some requests for additional time for abstract submission so we will grant an extension for submission of abstracts for those who missed the original deadline. The new deadline for submission of abstracts is June 1st. We will make every attempt possible to provide a decision on these 'new' submissions by June 15th.

I look forward to meeting many of you at IAS III in September.

Brian
http://www.ucd.ie/anklesym/index.html

Dr Brian Caulfield
School of Physiotherapy & Performance Science
University College Dublin
Belfield, Dublin 4
Tel: +353 1 7166511

Yahoo! Personals: It's free to check out our great singles!