PDA

View Full Version : Re: about definition of moment

kirtley24
02-27-2007, 12:55 AM
G'day everyone from Vientiane, People's Democratic Republic of Laos (he
says, just to get Laos into BIOMCH-L for the first time...).

I would like to take the opportunity to ask a question one of my students
once raised. When we calcuate/estimate joint moment, we model the
muscle-tendon-joint system as a "torque motor", implying a free-spinning
spindle driven by a rotation torque. I wonder what the assumptions aee
behind this model - e.g. does it necessarily assume that the tendon moment
arm is small?

I ask because this student showed me a very complex analysis (beyond my ken)
showing that the torque-motor assumption broke down when the tendon moment
arm >> 0.

Chris

On 2/24/07, David Smith wrote:

> Dear Sae Yong Lee
>
> I can see why you can get confused with all the terminology and many
> papers
> don't state whether they are presenting external or internal moments and
> in
> what terms.
> I will assume you are working in a 2D frame.
>
> This is my explanation:
>
> 1) Moments are the result of a minimum of two opposing offset forces that
> have lever arm about a point of interest acting on a body, known as
> a force
> couple, and cause a tendency for that body to rotate. (This would be a lot
> easier if we could post diagrams) So usually in the human body the applied
> forces cause rotation at the joints. This as a result of the force couple
> between Joint force (bone and soft tissue) and internal or external forces
> E.G. muscle or GRF.
>
> So a moment is (Force * lever arm) but only if there is an equal and
> opposite (force * lever arm) (lever arm also known as moment arm)
>
> It seems simple but is very useful to remember that all forces are equal
> and
> opposite and the sum of all forces is zero and this is is true for
> moments.
> F-m*a=0 applied forces or moments - resisting forces or moments = 0 The
> forces and moments in any mechanical system, dynamic or static, are always
> in eqilibrium.
> Therefore when speaking of the magnitude of forces and moments it is
> necessary to define when we mean applied or resisting since the sum of the
> two is always zero and the product of each are always equal..
>
> Terminology:
> Applied force: That force acting on the body of interest
> Resisting force: That force resisting the applied force
>
> External force: In terms of biomechanics is usually the force applied by
> GRF
> or some force extrinsic to or outside the body EG the weight of a kettle
> held in a hand or the force of a boxing glove applied against a boxers
> head.
> This can also be thought of as an external moment.
> Internal force: Is usually the force that resists the external force and
> is
> exerted by forces intrinsic or inside the body EG muscles, inertia,
> ligaments, bone.
> This could also be thought of as an internal moment.
>
> Clockwise moment: Is a way of defining the rotation or tendency to rotate
> of the moment (force * lever arm) in a 2D plane.
> Anticlockwise moment: (Anticlockwise and clockwise moments can also be
> thought of as positive and negative moments as can the forces but stick
> with
> the former for now)
>
> You may be able to see from the above descriptions that a moment in a
> given
> direction (say anticlockwise) about a joint of interest may be the sum of
> [...]

Dr. Chris Kirtley MB ChB, PhD

608 Dockside
44 Ferry St.
Kangaroo Point