PDA

View Full Version : Re: amputee sprinter

sbell68
05-17-2007, 01:38 PM
There are a lot of obstacles in making this final decision, and
it is extremely important to make an unbiased decision if Oscar does
indeed qualify for the Olympics. But let's keep a few things in mind
here as social factors, before getting into the science side for one
short minute.
First of all, I would like to address Mr. Perry's comment: "There
is something to be said for the purity of the sport at the Olympic
level, and it should not be compromised for the sake of inspiration."
Allow me to counter this with a phrase that might sound familiar: "The
most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take
part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but
the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have
fought well." Sound familiar? It should; it's the Olympic creed -
the underlying objective of the entire Olympic movement. The entire
point of the Olympics is to provide inspiration! So should we be
compromising the so-called 'purity' for inspiration? In my opinion
its a no-brainer: the answer is an enthusiastic "yes." I also agree
with Joel that it would be much more fulfilling to do this with
legitimate science to back him.
In this day and age the 'purity' of sport is a subjective term to
say the least. Ben Johnson sums up many of today's athletes very well
(unfortunately) in saying that "I wasn't the only one cheating, I just
had the worst chemist." (Please excuse the stereotype). But to get
away from the latest drug scandal to see a bilateral amputee competing
with highly tuned professional athletes will do more for the
unification of the planet, able-bodied and disabled alike from all
cultures, than any other story you could fabricate about hardship and
overcoming obstacles. This is what the Olympics is all about:
inspiration and unity. True there are previous disabled athletes who
have competed before in archery and gymnastics and others, but we're
talking about the premiere event in the Olympics: the 100m. The
single most-watched race in the Olympics! A phenomenal opportunity
for a phenomenal story.
Scientifically speaking, one thing I'm surprised about regarding
the list serve replies so far is that nobody has touched on the socket
element of the prosthetic limb - the focus has been solely on the
device itself. It is scientifically shown that an amputee spends more
energy and requires more oxygen when walking than an able-bodied
person, let alone sprinting at full speed. This is almost solely due
to the body's interaction with the socket and its struggle to adapt an
external device. This is a main reason supporting research and
implementation of osseointegration if I'm not mistaken - to allow the
amputee an easier method of adapting an artifical limb.
While prosthetic components may or may not provide an advantage,
depending on your side of the argument, the real factor that should be
considered is that the athlete will be spending the same or similar
amount of energy as an able-bodied person in his sprint but will be
losing significant amounts of energy just to keep his body interacting
with the prosthetic socket efficiently. If this is indeed the case,
it would be like strapping a small parachute to the back of an
able-bodied runner. Also, it has been shown that a prosthetic limb
limits the mobility and range of motion of the hip joint in most
patients, another biomechanical fault of an amputee. Therefore, any
advantage, if there is any at all, could potentially be lost in the
end due to energy losses. This is something I would be very
interested to read more about or research in the future. As to the
specifics of the actual prosthetic feet, I could not speak on the
specifics as well as many on this list, so please feel free to educate
me further on these devices or address anything you disagree with.
In regards to the rules of sport: the rules of sport are constantly
changing. You need not look further than the NHL. Twenty years ago
goalie pads were just wider than the wearer's leg, now they are
practically the width of the net. It is natural that somewhere down
the road better technology will be coming out. We should expect that
and plan for it accordingly. As this technology comes out, new rules
will be made to keep the playing field even for everyone. But don't
hold Oscar back now just because there is potential down the road for
technological improvement. In the court of law the defendant is
innocent until proven guilty and until somebody comes out and can say
without a doubt that Oscar has a definitive advantage over an
able-bodied runner using the prosthetics that he wears, the world
should bear witness to his gift.
I encourage a healthy response to this article as I feel this is a
great opportunity for exposure on the field of prosthetics and
biomechanical analysis. It could potentially open up the doors for
future funding from different areas of the industry. Anyone with
resources I would encourage to do some preliminary work. Anything
that can be done is better than what's out there, as almost nothing
exists. Let's not waste the prime of an inspiring athlete while we
wait for science to catch up to him. Because science, like the rest
of the athletic field, will have a very hard time keeping pace.

Spencer Bell
Biological Engineering Student, University of Guelph

Quoting "Joel C. Perry" :