PDA

View Full Version : Marker sets and gait models

fbuczek60
06-27-2007, 11:56 PM
Nancy (and Ton),

It was good to hear from you both, and to see that you are interested in various gait models.

When I was directing a clinical laboratory at Shriners Hospitals for Children - Erie PA, USA, we developed a full-body, six degree-of-freedom (6DOF) model for gait analyses. This model has been in use for more than four years. Even though I am now at NIOSH, I am collaborating with Shriners Erie to complete and publish the results from two on-going studies: one involving normal gait, and the other involving pathological gait. They both use a hybrid marker set to allow post-processing by the Conventional Gait Model (CGM, what you call the Helen Hayes model) and any number of 6DOF models (e.g., OPT1 uses conventional joint centers and local reference frames, but uses 6DOF tracking clusters, OPT2 allows the joint centers and local reference frames to change based upon cadaver or medical imaging studies, and uses 6DOF tracking).

The normal data were presented at ESMAC in 2004, with some additional results presented at GCMAS and ISB in 2005. We are writing the manuscript for the OPT1 reliability study this summer. In parallel, we are writing up the comparison of twenty key gait analysis variables in normal children, as calculated using CGM and OPT1. This will show statistically how the results differ between models, and will touch a bit on accuracy. Once this is completed, we will be writing a paper on the same comparison for pathological gait (typically children with cerebral palsy).

Finally, we also have a study, funded by Shriners Hospitals for Children, that will use simulations of gait (consistent with cadaver and medical imaging studies of coupled motions), to more completely assess accuracy across CGM, OPT1, and OPT2. This work should be completed in 2008, with publications to follow.

Please feel free to contact me if you have questions about this work.

Best regards,
Frank

Frank L Buczek Jr, PhD
Branch Chief, HELD/ECTB
National Institute for Occupational
Safety and Health (NIOSH)
1095 Willowdale Road MS 2027
Morgantown, WV 26505
304-285-5966 voice, 304-285-6265 fax
fbuczek@cdc.gov