PDA

View Full Version : Force plate treadmill summary

schen38
10-29-2007, 12:16 PM
The original question was posted:

Dear colleagues:
We are in the process of acquiring an instrumented treadmill with built-in
force plates. We are in between two vendors: 1) the Bertec (two plates
placed right/left with two individual split belts) and 2) the Kistler (two
plates placed front/back with one belt). I would really like to get some
feedback about the Pros and Cons of each piece of equipment. This will
help us tremendously to obtain the best treadmill.

A summary of the responses is provided.

Shing-Jye Chen, Ph.D.
Co-Director of the HPER Biomechanics Laboratory
School of Health, Physical Education & Recreation

The following messages are given by the colleagues, and I categorize them
into Kistler and Bertec treadmill and others.

I. Kistler:

"Dewitt, John K. (JSC-SK)[WLS]"
10/03/2007 09:34 AM
Hi sj,
We have a Kistler Gaitway treadmill in our lab and have used it in a
variety of investigations, including parabolic flight. It is relatively
simple to use, and is accompanied by manufacturer's software that is easy
to use and kicks out custom reports, which is useful in a clinical
setting. It is also possible to obtain raw force transducer and speed
sensor data, which we use for processing using Matlab.

The pro of the design is that the front-rear force plate setup allows for
both walking and running, and steps can be decomposed as right/left based
on the foot striking the front plate and pushing off the rear plate. If
the subject drifts too far forward or backward of the midline, some
footfalls may be difficult to discern. However, the problem there is
mainly in the Kistler software, and if you use custom software (i.e.
Matlab), you can get rid of that problem.

We have had some issues in the past with treadmill vibration that affect
the data. In addition, in some cases the GRF profiles have looked odd. I
believe that the odd GRF (a depression in the propulsive hump) is caused
because during some portion of foot-ground contact, forces from both
plates need to be combined. Slight calibration differences between the
plates can cause this issue. I believe it can be overcome with analysis.

I hope this helps.

John

"Andrew Kwarciak"
10/04/2007 01:12 PM

Dr. Chen,
We have an older Kistler system (within an HP Cosmos treadmill) and we've
been having difficulty getting accurate measurements of known weights. The
errors in our measurements are non-linear and the belt seems to affect the
measurement more than it should. We are also having difficulty obtaining
data from each plate separately. Our system cannot properly measure the
forces on each limb during dual support stance. These issues may have been
resolved in the latest equipment; however, I would make sure to ask plenty
of questions and ensure that the software can provide the output you need.
Hope that helps.

Good luck,
Andy

Andrew Kwarciak, M.S. Senior Biomedical Engineer
Human Performance and Movement Analysis Laboratory
Kessler Medical Rehabilitation Research & Education Center
1199 Pleasant Valley Way
West Orange, NJ 07052
Tel: 973-243-6903
Fax: 973-243-6984
akwarciak@kmrrec.org

Paul Bussman
10/04/2007 02:38 PM

Hello Dr Chen,

The current version of Gaitway uses a better quality treadmill from
HPCosmos with a more robust frame and drive mechanism. Some of the major
hardware differences between the HPCosmos and Trotter versions are:

Belt speed - old version 19.8 km/h - current version 22.0 km/h with
optional 30.0 km/h
Grade - old 20% - current version 24% with optional -24 to +24%
Belt reversal - old version not available - current version available as
an option
Dimensions - old version 1400 mm by 500 mm - current version 2100 mm by
820 mm
Weight - old version 320 kg - current version 364 kg

The current version of the Gaitway software is significantly improved from
the version that was sold with the Trotter treadmill. The old Trotter
version Gaitways can and have been be upgraded to the current version of
the Gaitway software.

Best regards,

Paul Bussman
paul.bussman@kistler.com
___________________________________
Kistler Instrument Corp.
75 John Glenn Drive, Amherst, NY 14228-2171, USA
Tel +1 716 691 5100 (direct 716 213 5781)
Fax +1 716 691 5226
http://www.kistler.com
___________________________________
II. Bertec

"Bing Yu"
10/03/2007 01:44 PM

It is quite clear that Bertec treadmill allow you to measure ground
reaction forces on each foot. We already bought one from Bertec. I can
not see any logic and use of the setup of force plates in Kistler
treadmill.

Bing Yu, PhD
Associate Professor, Director
Center fof Human Movement Science

"Lee E. Johnson"
10/04/2007 12:28 PM
Hi Shing-Jye,

Caught your post to biomech-l. We have long been interested in
instrumented treadmills as part of a total solution for gait analysis.
Kistler was one of the first ones into this market but because their
treadmill was limited to measuring vertical forces we have not done an
integration of that product. The Bertec instrumented treadmill measures
shears as well as vertical forces and, as a result, we are in the process
of integrating their product with The MotionMonitor. We are still early
in the process so we have not had a chance to do any accuracy testing but
they have a great reputation for engineering and product quality so we are
confident that any deficiencies will be quickly corrected.

Good luck and let me know which way you go.

-Lee
Lee E. Johnson
ljohnson@innsport.com
773.244.6470 voice
773.244.6473 fax
Innovative Sports Training...The Total Solution in Motion Capture
www.innsport.com