PDA

View Full Version : Correction:::Re: [BIOMCH-L] Torque or moment ? about a joint

naborghese48
11-08-2007, 02:18 AM
Dear all,

I am really sorry for my spelling error which made my message at
least unclear. I have written momentum instead of (and meaning
moment), sorry for this. So the correct message would be the following.

I find a subtle difference between torque and moment of a force.

From my remembering of physics books, moment of a force (with
respect to a point or to an axis) is proportional (through the
inertia) to the rotational acceleration. That is it induces a change
in rotation of the body. In this respect we can also represent the
effect of the moment (of a force) as a torque which is a vector
oriented as the rotation axis and has magnitude equal to that of the
moment (of the force).

From my point of view torque can be considered an abstract
equivalent representation of the moment (of the force), that is the
same torque can be generated by a shorter arm and a larger force or viceversa.

From the biomechanics point of view, when analyzing a body joint
from a global point of view we may talk as (net) torque on the
articulartion, but if we want to talk at a more detailed level I
would prefer to read about the moment of the different muscles (which
is implictly due to stretching visco-elastic force plus the offset
between insertion point and point of istantaneous rotation).

Just the same as the difference between 'jam' and 'marmelade'

Cheers

Alberto Borghese

At 15.18 08/11/2007, Adrian Smith wrote:

>www.oed.com
>
>The Oxford English Dictionary has TORQUE (noun):
>
>"The twisting or rotary force in a piece of mechanism (as a measurable
>quantity);
>"the moment of a system of forces producing rotation."
>
>Adrian Smith
>Leeds University Library
>+44 (0)113 3435531

Prof. Ing. Alberto Borghese
Department of Computer Science - University of Milano
Via Comelico, 39 - 20135 Milano, Italy
Telephone: +39-02-503.16325 Fax: +39-02-503.16373.
Email: borghese@dsi.unimi.it Skype: borgheseA

Laboratory of Applied Intelligent Systems (AIS Lab)
Via Celoria 20, Edificio CTU-9, http://ais-lab.dsi.unimi.it/
Telephone: +39.02-503.14011 Fax: +39-02-503.14012.
Mobile: +39-349-262.11.92.