PDA

View Full Version : Re: high speed video capture

tseeholzer21
11-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Justin,

we spent quite some time on high-speed capturing and finally came up with a
solution that is able to capture one or more high-speed cameras with a
single PC (full resolution and frame rate).
The system supports Basler A602 and other manufacturers and models with 100
and 200 fps.
www.contemplas.com/motion-analysis-news/highspeed_mobile.aspx?bm=1

We do not have much experience with 60 minutes of capturing, but 10 or more
minutes are no problem. Our system uses compression such as MJPEG to reduce
data rate (hard disks are too slow to store more than one raw data stream)
and file size. Depending on the compression quality you can achieve data
rates down to 5 MB/s (still very good quality) or even 1 MB/s (medium
quality).

www.highspeed-video.com/compression.html

With 1 MB/s (obviously with some loss of quality) you would create a file
with 3600 MB/hour per camera. It should be possible to handle such a file
size. Saving raw data would produce 35 MB/s = 126 GB/hour which will not
work.

Best regards,

Thomas.

Thomas Seeholzer
Research & Development

CONTEMPLAS GmbH
phone: +49 8133 918295
mail: seeholzer@contemplas.com
web: www.contemplas.com

UID: DE 241749111
HRB: 8828 Amtsgericht Kempten
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Klippel, Thomas Seeholzer
Firmensitz: Widdersteinstraße 20, D-87471 Durach