PDA

View Full Version : Re: Using Real-Time VICON with MATLAB

parchambault23
12-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Ravi,

I am also looking at possible solutions on how to use a motion capture
system in real time. I see two potential pitfalls with a real time
system combining Vicon and Matlab xPC. The first is that Vicon
communicates its data through TCP/IP, however, xPC can only use UDP;
TCP/IP is not possible and this has been confirmed by a Mathworks
software engineer.

The other problem is that Vicon introduces a delay of 10-50 ms
(depending on your setup) between actual, physical movement and the time
that this data is communicated to the target computer. For my needs,
this delay is much too high. Personally, I believe that an active marker
system is more appropriate for real time.

Hope this helps,

Philippe

Philippe Archambault, OT, PhD
Assistant professor
School of Physical & Occupational Therapy, McGill University
3654 Promenade Sir-William-Osler
Montreal QC H3G 1Y5
T: (+1) 514 398-7323
F: (+1) 514 398-6360