PDA

View Full Version : Re: Baseball pitching vs. tennis serving

gfleisig24
12-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Richard,

I am out of the office on vacation, so I am doing this from memory. My colleagues and I have compared the biomechanics of the tennis serve to the baseball pitch. Here are the citations:

Elliott B, Fleisig, R, Nicholls R, Escamilla R. Technique effects on upper limb loading in the tennis serve. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sports 6(1):76-87, 2003

Fleisig GS, Nicholls RL, Elliott BC, Escamilla RF. Kinematics used by world class tennis players to produce high-velocity serves. Sports Biomechanics 2(1):17-30, 2003

As I recall, the tennis serve has greater ball velocity, but less shoulder rotational velocity and torque. I believe that the less velocity was due to the substantial extra inertia in the distal segment of the kinetic chain. In other words, the tennis racquet is, in a sense, an extension of the hand. The tennis player has far more inertia than the baseball player does in resisting wrist flexion, but the increased distance of the segment produces greater linear velocity (of the tennis racquet head, compared to the pitcher's finger tips).

That's the best I can do for now. Happy Holidays,

- Glenn

Glenn S. Fleisig, Ph.D., Smith & Nephew Chair of Research
American Sports Medicine Institute
833 St. Vincent's Drive, Suite 100
Birmingham, AL 35205
(205) 918-2139