PDA

View Full Version : Obituary: Yuli Toshev

Davis, Brian L., Ph.d.
04-24-2008, 12:59 PM
On behalf of the International Society of Biomechanics I would like to express my condolences to the family and friends of Prof. Yuli Toshev.

Prof. Toshev was a man who epitomized the philosophy of the ISB: maintain the highest academic standards, promote biomechanics at the international level, and serve the profession that you represent. He obtained his Master of Sciences degree in Computer Science in Bulgaria (1963), his PhD in 1975, and a DSc degree in Biomechanics in 1995. At the time of his death, he was a Full Professor in Biomechanics and/or Robotics in both France and Bulgaria.

Prof. Toshev was a strong believer in international travel, and spent time in many different labs including University of Paris-South, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Penn State University, National Institute of Applied Sciences, Rennes, Université Catholique de Louvain, Belgium, University of Cardiff, Wales and University of Reims, France. Besides working with colleagues at these institutions, Prof Toshev was a frequent attendee at ISB Congresses.

Towards the end of his life, Prof. Toshev devoted considerable time to the creation of a new journal, "Series on Biomechanics" (http://www.biomechanics-bg.org/). He posted an announcment to this effect on Biomch-L on Feb 2nd this year. I sent him a short email to congratulate him on his efforts, and his response was to thank the ISB for supporting this journal. His final words to me were, "Best wishes to ISB, Yuli".

With this in mind, I'd like to encourage members of the biomechanics community to visit his journal's website and, if appropriate, consider submitting a paper for publication. Prof. Toshev was a leading biomechanist who promoted our profession with enthusiasm and creativity: he will be sorely missed.

Brian L. Davis, Ph.D

ISB Past-President

P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

Cleveland Clinic is ranked one of the top hospitals
in America by U.S. News & World Report (2007).
Visit us online at http://www.clevelandclinic.org for
a complete listing of our services, staff and
locations.

Confidentiality Note: This message is intended for use
only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed
and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable
law. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this communication in error, please
contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in
its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. Thank you.