PDA

View Full Version : Re: - 3D Accelerometers

kirtley24
05-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Dear Kat,

My opinion is that people are too lazy these days - and for no justifiable
reason, since it is so easy to build your own circuits now.

You can buy a 3D accelerometer chip for about $10 and build a nice
microcontroller around it, with flash memory and maybe Bluetooth telemetry,
for not much more. In doing so you will get a much more versatile tool and,
more importantly, will understand every step of how you obtain the data.
This is what universities are for - designing and building instruments - not
buying off-the-shelf products.

I would be interested in what others think!

Chris

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 10:48 PM, Kat Arbour wrote:

> Hi All-
>
> I am planning to research the landing accelerations of various high impact
> jumping skills in an athletic population. Biometrics LTD (Model ACL300) has
> an accelerometer that may be perfect for what I am looking for. The
> accelerometer wires to the datalogger, worn on the back, then the athlete is
> free to do whatever, where ever. (It measures acceleration impact-by-impact
> , its not an "activity monitor" for daily caloric expenditure). I am
> inquiring to see if anyone is familiar with the accelerometer and has an
> opinion about its performance. If you have used it in your research, I am
> very interested in your experiences with it. If you have used different
> accelerometers that allows the subject to be untethered, that would be great
> information, too.
>
> Thanks for sharing!
>

> Kat Arbour MS MPT
> PhD student
> Biomechanics and Movement Science
> University of Delaware
> Newark, DE 19716

Dr. Chris Kirtley MB ChB, PhD
608 Dockside
44 Ferry St.
Kangaroo Point
Queensland 4169
Australia (GMT+10)
Tel. 61+7-3891 6644 x 1608
Fax 3891 6900

West End Family Medical Centre
Mondays, Tuesdays & Thursday afternoon (07) 3844 4111

Clinical Gait Analysis: http://www.univie.ac.at/cga
Book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0443100098/203-6674734-4427132