PDA

View Full Version : Re: Oscar Pistorius

sziolek75
05-21-2008, 06:37 AM
I have only been following some of this thread but I agree whole heartedly with Terry¡¯s comments . . .

Since the mechanism is "designed and engineered," we have to ask ¡°how do we engineer fair?¡± It obviously becomes particularly complex if the recipient has no previous performance data to compare to.

I would be interested to know what specific criteria was used to design the prosthetic device in the first place.

Appearance
Weight? (As light as possible, typical ranges for a person that size, other?)
Length? (was a height target selected and why?)
Spring rate
Performance (Was a performance target "set in design" or "measured afterwards"? What performance metric? How would you select this target?)

The initial assumptions that went into this design for Oscar Pistorius would be terribly interesting for this debate.

Scott A. Ziolek
Deputy General Manager
Comfort Engineering and Human Factors
Dymos of America