PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Pistorius allowed to compete in regular Olympic Games afterall

jwalton86
and field:

How about swimming events with flippers ... prosthetic feet?
That would be sure to break a few records!

While I admire Pistorius for his courage and the skills he
has developed with his new "legs", the fact remains that his
prostheses modify the very nature of the event. If this
decision is allowed to go forward, it's going to open up a
whole can of worms that will be very hard to put back in the
box. The only folks that will benefit from this will be the
lawyers and "talking heads", it certainly won't be the athletes,
Pistorius included. Any records he creates are sure to be
annotated--"**but he used special legs", and the athlete that
takes second place will always feel that he won the event.

Why do we have separate events for men and women? Because
there are physical differences in the sexes. If the only
criterion is covering a specified distance in a minimum
amount of time, then why not combine the men's and women's
events and ignore these physical differences? (I'm not
advocating this, just trying to address the absurdity of
allowing a "modified" man to compete in a "men's" event.)

By the way, this is a great use of this listserver. I've
really enjoyed watching the topic develop.

Jim

************************************************** ************
* JAMES (Jim) S. WALTON, Ph.D., President, 4DVIDEO *
* Fellow, Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers *
* US National Delegate to the International Congress on *
* High-Speed Photography and Photonics *
* 825 Gravenstein Highway North, Suite 4 *
* SEBASTOPOL, California 95472 USA *
* PHONE: (707) 829-8883 FAX: (707) 829-3527 *
* INTERNET: Jim@4DVideo.com *