PDA

View Full Version : Pose Method

kkirby52
11-14-2008, 02:33 AM
The Pose method of running has been around for quite a few years now and basically is a technique where a runner is trained to run as a forefoot striker rather than a rearfoot striker (i.e. initial ground contact is coached to occur on the plantar forefoot rather than the plantar rearfoot). It seems to be based on the assumption that forefoot striking runners are less prone to injury, will run with more metabolic efficiency and will run faster. This is similar to another method of running that is also gaining popularity called Chi running that is also a forefoot striking running style.

As a sports podiatrist that has been treating runners for the past 23 years and from my background as a competetive distance runner, I am somewhat surprised that these two running techniques, which seem to be followed with a amazing zeal by the individuals that make a living teaching others how to run with the Pose and Chi method, have become so popular since I have seen many runners become injured in trying to adopt these running styles. Certainly some runners may benefit from a slight running style change but most long distance runners that I have known over the past 35 years have performed quite well in their rearfoot striking running patterns. Certainly at slower speeds of running, I would think that a rearfoot striking running pattern should remain the preferred foot contact pattern for most runners.

Kevin A. Kirby, DPM
Adjunct Associate Professor
Department of Applied Biomechanics
California School of Podiatric Medicine at Samuel Merritt College