PDA

View Full Version : Re: tendon CSA

Orit Yarden
06-01-1994, 05:45 PM
Some time ago I posted a message asking for values of forearm tendon
cross sectional area. I already posted a summary of results, but recently
received another interesting one. It is forwarded here for the benefit of
those of you interested in this data.

Orit Yarden

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 26 May 1994 12:55:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Peter J. Keir
To: yarden@eng.tau.ac.il
Subject: Re: tendon CSA

Dear Orit,

Sorry for the delay in getting you this information but I couldn't find the
papers I had in mind -- I finally found them.

The paper most applicable is

Cutts, Alexander & Ker (1991) Ratios of cross-sectional areas of muscles and
their tendons in a healthy human forearm. J. Anatomy 176: 133-137.

This paper is based on measurements of a 20 year old male, so N = 1 but they do
report tendon CSA's for all extrinsic finger musculature and wrist flexors/ext-
ensors.

Alexander's group at the University of Leeds have done a lot of tendon work ,
a lot of it with animals, though.

Peter Keir (pjkeir@healthy.uwaterloo.ca)
Ph.D. Candidate
Dept. of Kinesiology