PDA

View Full Version : archaeologist seeking biomechanics to study stance in equids from2500 BC

delliott82
01-03-2010, 09:35 PM
I am an archaeologist specializing in animal bone analysis from settlements in northern Syria. I have recovered a previously unrecognized breed of equids dating to roughly 2500 BC. I have almost 30 complete skeletons of these rare individuals and have been conduction a 3D laser scanning program in order to preserve and share the skeletal data in 3D format. The ancient uses of these equids are unknown, though we suspect they were mainly used to pull chariots and other wheeled vehicles - which is also suggested by their fore-limb musculature. But, I am wondering what types of biomechanical forces and issues might be examined using the 3D data that I've captured and your lab seemed an appropriate place to seek help. For instance, can the wear patterns on articular surfaces be examined to investigate range and frequency of movement. Or, could the same be examined to determine "stance" - almost unknown for equids other than horses. Is this an area in which you or someone in your lab could provide help? Any assistance you can provide will be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jill

Jill Weber, Ph.d.
Consulting Scholar, Near East Section
University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology
jllwbr8@gmail.com