PDA

View Full Version : Re: Counting publication credit in a diverse department setting

mviceconti63
03-03-2010, 08:42 PM
At the Rizzoli Institute we use a normalised impact factor, that
divide the actual IF of the journal by the highest IF of the
disciplinary journal cluster, as defined by ISI.

Actually the story is a bit more complex, and it involves percentiles,
but the essence is this one.

Marco

Il giorno 2 Mar 2010, alle ore 22:04, Jim Martin ha scritto:

> Hello All:
>
> Like many of you, I am housed within a department that includes
> faculty members in various disciplines. Our faculty member include
> those in basic physiology and biomechanics as well as pedagogy and
> sports psychology. When the time comes to rank faculty productivity,
> our department chair takes a very open minded approach and counts a
> publication in a peer reviewed journal appropriate to the discipline
> the same for all disciplines. That means that a paper in Journal of
> Biomechanics is (in this scenario) equivalent to a paper in a
> physical education journal, even though the later may have no
> measurable impact factor.
> So now to my question: Those of you who are faculty in departments
> with diverse faculty focus areas, can you tell me how your
> administration handles the differences in disciplines with respect
> to performance evaluation of scholarly productivity?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jim
>
> --
> James C. Martin PhD
> Associate Professor
> The Neuromuscular Function Lab
> Department of Exercise and Sport Science
> College of Health
> The University of Utah
> 250 S. 1850 E. Room 241
> Salt Lake City, Utah, 84112-0920
> Voice 801-587-7704
> Fax 801-585-3992
> http://www.health.utah.edu/ess/people/martin.html
> "The best way to have a good idea is to have a lot of ideas." Linus
> Pauling

MARCO VICECONTI, PhD
(viceconti@tecno.ior.it)
Laboratorio di Tecnologia Medica tel. 39-051-6366865
Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli fax.
39-051-6366863
via di Barbiano 1/10, 40136 - Bologna, Italy

Tiger! Tiger! Burning bright in the forest of the night,
what immortal hand or eye could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of my employer