PDA

View Full Version : Re: Measuring force of tape removal

furmato58
08-16-2010, 11:20 PM
Dear Yvette,

Can you do an in vivo test using an Instron-type machine? You might
build a seat to mechanically ground your subject with your tester. You
might need a pulley system to direct the pull of the tester. When
you're done making these things, you can set the rate of pull, the
amount of pull, and the angle of pull.
Your protocols should include orientation of the tape with respect to
the skin tension lines, pre- and post-exfoliation, and any
pre-conditioning of the skin or the tape. I would be concerned about
tests at a single site: how many tests can you perform on the same patch
of skin within a given time frame? What criteria do you use before
testing again?
You would want to do in vitro tests to understand the effect of tension
on the tape (band-aid).
I don't think size of the machine is an issue as compared to these other
concerns. However, after using the "Instron" to set up protocols and
determine the operating ranges, then think about smaller testers.
These are suggestions on my part. Another suggestion is to contact Dr.
Gary Grove at cyberDERM (www.cyberderm-inc.com). He has done or knows
how to do mechanical and chemical testing on skin. He may be able to
advise you.
Best regards,

Jim Furmato

James A. Furmato, DPM, PhD
Chief Engineer, Gait Study Center
Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopedics and Medicine
Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine
TUSPM Gait Study Center
148 N. 8th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19711
Phone 215-625-5370